Which 5th wheel to buy???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksmoore1

Okay, I need some help or suggestions to figure out which 5th wheel to purchase. Any suggestions are welcome...
We have a 2016 Chevy 2500 HD Diesel (it can tow up to 13900 lbs, but we are looking for a 5th wheel that weighs in empty around 10.000 lbs
and loaded around 12-12500 lbs. We are looking for a 5th wheel that is somewhere between 29-35' long and 2-5 years old. We are planning on living in it most of the year. We DO realize that most full time units are too heavy for our truck (and no we are not buying a new truck - we really like the truck).
We are not looking for a specific model number, but brand recommendations are most important. We are realistic as is in expecting a mid-range 5th wheel and not top of the line.
This will be our second trailer, but our first 5th wheel. We have been to a few RV shows and created a bit of a list what we do and do not want.
Here are the DO items:
1. A few items we would like are being able to get to the fridge, bathroom and bed (crawling over is ok) when the slides are in.
2. W&D hook-ups would be a great plus.
3. The must haves are good size closets and some kitchen prep area (not an island). I just need room for my cutting board etc while cooking ....
4. A pantry or at least ample space to food storage since we can not eat out due to extreme food allergies
5. Enclosed underbelly
Here are the DO NOT items:
1. No bunks - the grandkids are welcome to visit, but they are not moving in ....
2. No residential fridge
3. An entertainment center at one end of the living/dining/kitchen space and the couches/recliners at the other end (as seen in most rear entry models)
4. No pipes in the middle of the of the pass-thru storage - I just do not trust the cargo to keep bumping into them and breaking them - who ever thought putting them there unprotected has never pulled a trailer over the Rocky Mountains...

Thanks!!!! 8)

I think you are using the wrong approach to buying an RV. If you figure out exactly which RV you want to buy you will be searching endlessly to find exactly that unit that is in great shape, reasonably priced and close enough to you to consider buying. In other words an almost impossible mission. I suggest shopping the fivers in your area and see what is available. When you find a unit that you like and can afford then get it inspected before you buy it. Good luck to you. It took my six months to find my current fiver and I love it.

Welcome!!!

Wise planning!!!

The first thing you have to figure out is what YOUR truck can carry. A fifth wheel trailer places  20-25% of its total weight in the bed of the truck plus a 150 pound hitch and plus all the other stuff, passengers etc. In the numbers you quoted, 20-25% of 12500 are 2500lbs and 3100lbs. Since you seldom have the trailer weights without weighing it, we usually advise people to use the GVWR of the trailer for comparisons in order to give a margin of safety. (FYI, the trailer you were towing previously only placed 10-12% of its total weight on the truck!!!)

You can find the CCC or max. load (payload) YOUR truck can carry on a sticker on the drivers door jamb. DO NOT be surprised if that is completely off when compared to the numbers you are expecting or desire. The figures published in the ads and brochures are, most often, for a stripped down version of the truck and are not relevant to your specific vehicle. The weight that you can tow is really irrelevant, as you will max out on  the CCC long before the GCWR ( combined weight of the trailer and the truck).

Since you don't want to change the truck, your wants and desires for a trailer in the 30'+ range using a 2500 series truck may have to be trimmed A LOT.

Good advice above.

Odds are your 2500HD cannot handle a 5W trailer that weighs 10,000 lbs empty. That would likely be 13,000 lbs loaded for travel and your truck won't have enough payload to carry 20% of the loaded weight PLUS passengers, gear and hitch in the truck.  You need to look at the truck payload (carrying capacity) because that is almost always the limiting factor for 5W towing on a 2500 (3/4 ton) truck.

Maybe I was not clear enough: I have researched the truck. It can tow a 5th wheel weighing 13900 lbs per manufacturer. We just rather have a trailer a bit lighter. That is our choice since we are planning on spending a bunch of time in the Rockies...
Our old trailer was a lighter short travel trailer and towed by an older GMC Sierra 1500....
The advice we are looking for is brands that might fit us. Not too light (the half ton trailers usually weigh in loaded at 10.000 lbs), but not something we need a 1-ton truck for.....
We figured we narrow down the brands, because going from RV lot to RV lot is not helping us since they keep trying to sell us what we do not want i.e. the extreme light ones that can carry something like 1800 lbs.... those units feel very cheaply made (I am sure even in mid-range they do not feel like tanks either, but a little less cheap.... )

Again, we appreciate any advice!!!

You?re truck ?may? tow a 13900lb 5er, or it may not...your payload will likely be the ?limiting? factor. A 13900lb 5er puts roughly 2800lbs in the bed, likely exceeding the payload capacity of a 3/4 ton truck...and then add hitch, people, and gear...

Actually, Chevy was not clear enough.  Chevy MAKES a 2500 similar to yours that CAN tow a 13,900 FW.  That number is calculated using the base configuration, lowest trim level, max tow package, and NO OTHER OPTIONS.  The truck may carry two 150 lb passengers, but NO OTHER CARGO.  It does not even include the weight of a hitch.  If you read the fine print in the footnotes, you will find this.

There are several figures to consider when loading / towing with any truck.  It should meet all weight limits
GVWR  is the weight of the loaded truck, including passengers, cargo, hitches and pin wt.
    The CCC referenced above is the GVWR minus the weight of the empty truck as it left the factory.
    This number is a good estimate of what you can carry.  Add 20% of the FW GVWR, 150# for a hitch, weight of all passengers and cargo in the truck.  It can not exceed the CCC
GCWR  is the combined weight of the FW and truck
Rear axle weight rating is the most load the rear axle can carry.

As others have said, your truck CAN carry a nice FW, but not one that actually weighs 13,900.  That is advertising hocus pocus.  Check YOUR numbers, but I suggest staying around 10,000 GVWR on the FW

Maybe I was not clear enough:

You are perfectly clear!! But... You are just not reading the proper numbers as the others have said. The first thing to check for 5th wheel towing is the Load Carrying Capacity, often referred to as Payload or CCC (cargo carry capacity), of YOUR truck as it came from the factory with all the trim features that truck has included. This number should be found on a sticker on the drivers door post. You can surely PULL the trailer with that weight but you might well overload the truck in doing so. The sticker may contain wording similar to this: "The maximum load this truck can carry is xxxx". The same sticker may include the tire/axel information.  Refer to  my previous post......

So why is the truck then rated for 13900 lbs towing a 5th wheel.... It is a 3/4 ton diesel and not a 1/2 ton. We had planned on staying well under that with a trailer that is rated loaded at 12000 lbs. I do know, there has to be allowances made for our weight, the hitch plus everything in the cab and bed of the truck also. What formula is the 13900 lbs based on.... and yes I know they do not calculate even the driver in  (like anyone wants to hitch a 5th wheel just to look at it)... PS I saw a truck like mine tow a Montana today and those things are heavy. I would never attempt that.....

ksmoore1 said:
So why is the truck then rated for 13900 lbs towing a 5th wheel.
It is not rated for 13900 lbs towing a 5th wheel. It is rated for towing 13900 lbs. You could hook up a flat bed and load with 13900 lbs and be fine. But towing a 5th wheel is a whole different ballgame.

A tow vehicle must not only pull the weight, but must also carry the weight. The tongue weight of a travel trailer is at least 10% of the loaded trailer's weight, and closer to 15% is recommended. The pin weight of a fiver is 20%+ of the loaded trailer's weight. The tongue or pin weight of the trailer must be subtracted from the available payload, along with the hitch, passengers, firewood, tools, heavy duty floor mats, the aftermarket dual exhaust, junk you usually carry, wife's purse, and any other items not on the truck as it rolled out of the factory. Around here, we generally consider the GVWR of the trailer as a loaded trailer. It takes a lot of discipline to keep your weight down. The numbers you keep referring to are "brochure" numbers. They are for the lightest truck with the tires and other equipment to maximize the numbers. The brochure numbers probably have no close relationship to your particular truck.

My son has the same truck.  He was surprised when I showed him the door jam that showed a payload of 2,100#.  This is not enough for most FW.  What the manufacturer advertises has nothing to do with your actual truck. Assuming that your truck's payload is close to my son's, you too will be surprised that your truck cannot handle safely most FW.  Sorry for sharing what you don't want to hear.  We are just trying to help you.

Each truck is rated to carry a load, a maximum weight rating. You subtract the curb weight of the truck with everything you plan to have in the truck when your towing. The difference is the maximum pin weight of the 5th wheel - minus about 160 pounds for the 5th wheel hitch.

For example:
6,900 maximum carrying capacity as stated on the door sticker. Also states I can carry up to 2,100 pounds. But 2,100 doesn't include my wife, my weight over 150 pounds, the 5th wheel hitch, the dogs, etc.
Truck curb weight with my wife, I, two dogs, full tank of gas, 5th wheel hitch, etc. is 5,400 pounds.
6,900-5,400= 1,500 pin wight my truck can carry.
1,500 / .25 = 6,000 total weight.
1,500 / .20 = 7,500 total weight of 5th wheel I can tow.

My truck can tow 10,300 pounds of weight. But because its a 5th wheel I can only tow 7,500 pounds.
If I towing a travel trailer, I could tow 15,000 pounds. However my limit exceeds the tow rating of the truck, so I could only tow a 10,300 pound trailer and carry more gear in the truck bed.

I have a 1/2 ton. Yours WILL be different. You have to do the math for your truck. Even a similar truck to yours will be different. All depends on options installed.
i am towing a 5th wheel with my 1/2 ton, however it doesn't have all the options you want. Specifically the washer and dryer. Plus my 5th wheels carrying capacity is only 900 pounds. I don't live in it I sue it for weekends camping/fishing trips with the occasional week long trips. In fact in two weeks I'll be camping/fishing the first weekend, and then camping/hunting the week after.

PLEASE give attention to the advice above.  The ?tow rating? on the truck you?re considering is marketing hype.  You need to look at the payload capacity, NOT the tow rating.  There?s a strong chance you?re going to be overloaded with a 12K loaded 5th wheel.  The pin weight is huge on a 5th wheel, which eats into your payload capacity very quickly.

Go physically look at the truck you like, and read the payload capacity on the sticker in the driver door jamb.  You will find it eye opening.  It won?t be anywhere near what the manufacturer says.

Once you get the tow rating sorted out...

Start looking at all the 5th wheels in your area that will come under your payload.

The more you look, the more you learn and eventually one will smile at you and feel like home. :)

I spent 2 years looking for a bargain, but I was already in a Class C. Once I found my unit, I fell in love and bought it right away.

Do the match then Keep looking.

SeilerBird said:
It is not rated for 13900 lbs towing a 5th wheel. It is rated for towing 13900 lbs. You could hook up a flat bed and load with 13900 lbs and be fine. But towing a 5th wheel is a whole different ballgame.

Exactly and another way of saying what others having been trying to communicate.  Many 3/4 ton trucks can tow at or very close to what a 1-ton truck can, but it is the payload capacity of a 3/4 ton truck that is the limiting factor.  The load a 5th wheel places on the truck is typically 20% of the weight of the 5th wheel which will likely exceed the payload capacity of a 3/4 ton truck, while a flatbed or bumper pull will typically add approximately 10% to the payload.

I also had a 3/4 ton diesel which had plenty of power but limited payload capacity. 1882 lbs was all it was rated for. Not good at all for fifth wheel towing. That is why I went ahead and traded it in for a 1 ton dually. World of difference in payload! Remember, it's NOT whether your truck can PULL it, it's if your truck can CARRY it. I know you will see plenty of rvers out there pulling lots of huge fifth wheels with 3/4 tons, but does that mean it's right?  ???

Back
Top Bottom