Which satellite signal finder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samthetramp

I've decided to go with my 3 LNB dish for a while longer but the analog signal finder is a real pain to use. Does anyone have any recommendations on a quality signal finder that's under $200?

We use the Satellite AR app to find the satellites in the sky.  The Satellite AR logo looks like a blue square with white seatbelt going diagonally across it.  You just turn it on in your cell phone and point your phone toward the sky, then turn around slowly until the satellites start showing on the screen.  The camera in your cell phone will show any trees that are in the way of the satellites so it's great when choosing a camp site.  In other words, you see the facsimile of the satellites and any obstructions.

The system might remind you to reset the compass to adjust to a new location.  To do that hold your phone out in front of you and with your arm stretched out walk around in a circle several times while making a figure 8 with your arm.  It finds your precise location on Earth.

This is a really nifty program.  One time we heard on the TV that the International Space Station would be going right over our house and at the appointed time we used Satellite AR to find the ISS and then were able to watch it visually as it crossed overhead.

Satellite AR is available at Google Playstore for either Android or Apple cell phones.  Best of all, the price is right because it's only $0.00!

ArdraF

I agree with ArdraF, great app, I use it every time I set up the dish!

What satellite system do you use? We're close to purchasing a Dish system and at this point my only reservation is whether acquiring a signal as we move from site to site will be a big issue. Done a bunch of reading where some way without a "pro" level sat finder costing hundreds you'll have a hard time getting locked in. Others are apparently doing quite well with the type of app  you mentioned.

The system we're looking at will use a stand alone dish on a tripod and I'd be most interested to hear of yours and others experience with this aiming issue?

ArdraF said:
We use the Satellite AR app to find the satellites in the sky.  The Satellite AR logo looks like a blue square with white seatbelt going diagonally across it.  You just turn it on in your cell phone and point your phone toward the sky, then turn around slowly until the satellites start showing on the screen.  The camera in your cell phone will show any trees that are in the way of the satellites so it's great when choosing a camp site.  In other words, you see the facsimile of the satellites and any obstructions.

The system might remind you to reset the compass to adjust to a new location.  To do that hold your phone out in front of you and with your arm stretched out walk around in a circle several times while making a figure 8 with your arm.  It finds your precise location on Earth.

This is a really nifty program.  One time we heard on the TV that the International Space Station would be going right over our house and at the appointed time we used Satellite AR to find the ISS and then were able to watch it visually as it crossed overhead.

Satellite AR is available at Google Playstore for either Android or Apple cell phones.  Best of all, the price is right because it's only $0.00!

ArdraF

I also use a phone app for aiming the portable when I need it. I used to use the one Ardra uses, but I had some trouble with accuracy. I now use an android app called "Sat Finder Lite".  So far it works well. This one shows all of the Satellites on an arc, so you look for the one you want. 

I also find it useful when aiming the roof top dish on the MH.  If I have a treed site, I know approximately where the dome is on the roof of the rig, and using the app I can estimate where to park the rig to hit the satellite.

If using a portable dish, one other spec you will need is to find the elevation that the dish needs to be set at. Direct has a page called "Dish Pointer" to find the elevation to get the dish close before you start. https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/dishPointer.jsp?_requestid=342689

You just enter the zip code where you are to get the elevation. I used to worry about getting the tripod perfectly level before I started aiming, but now I just set the tripod on the ground and add a degree or two to the elevation setting if the ground is sloped. Then move the dish back and forth and lower the dish a bit at a time with someone watching the signal strength meter.  It's usually pretty quick to hit the satellite.

The satellites are all sitting over the equator pretty much at 100 west, or close to that  (dish is 119&110 direct is 95,99,&103). Interestingly almost straight south of Abilene, TX :)

So if you use google maps to find your latitude/longitude (just click on a spot and it shows the lat/long) you then know your elevation  (it is the the latitude subtracted from 90 degrees) and direction to aim east or west (how ever many degrees you are east or west of the sat.'s longitude). I used that method for 15 years on Direct TV sat.'s and always had a good signal.

BTW a milk crate and a couple of gallon water jugs are a lot more stable than a tripod. Just cut a piece of wood to fit into the crate and mount the dish pipe to the crate side and wood bottom. The water jugs just sit in the crate to hold it down. It is also easy to level the crate with a standard level instead of trying to use a bubble level on the tripod.

Dish has two sets of three satellites, referred to as the eastern and western arcs. The eastern arc satellites are located at 61.5, 72.7, and 77 degrees on the equatorial arc, while the western arc sats are at 110, 119, and 129 degrees. The national programming is duplicated in full on both arcs, but the local stations may only be in HD on one arc, with SD on the other arc, and a few are only on one arc at all. An advantage of the two arc setup is the increased aiming opportunities for locations with a lot of trees or other obstructions. If one arc isn't viewable, the other one often is. For both Dish and DTV, the most accurate aiming numbers can be found here. Only one current dome style dish is capable of fully utilizing both arcs though, the Winegard Pathway X2. Open faced manually aimed multi-LNB dishes can easily be switched between the two arcs with an LNB swap.

We use a Dish 1000.4 multi-LNB dish and tripod setup that's been modified for a no tools needed setup and adjustment. Leveling only takes screwing the adjustable feet up or down using the large T-handles. I anchor the tripod either with a couple of screw in dog ties or a partially filled 5-gallon bucket. Our setup has withstood ~60 mile an hour wind gusts without losing the signal.

ArdraF said:
We use the Satellite AR app to find the satellites in the sky.  The Satellite AR logo looks like a blue square with white seatbelt going diagonally across it. 
Just looked on app store and don?t see anything like this icon.
Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot of the icon.
Thanks
Bob

Thanks Dutch, I looked at that Winegard app and it even has OTA signal finder.
Think I will give it a try.

Merry Christmas

Bob

I should mention that I also use a digital meter that identifies the satellite I'm dialing in to peak the signal strength. Mine was only about $50 on eBay several years ago, but I don't see that model listed anymore...

I bought a heavy duty tripod setup that is supposed to make aiming much easier but haven't used it yet as my current site has very tall trees right at my back bumper which of course is to the south. No chance of signal till I move in Jan. Will try to find a link back to it to post and will report back on the results of it in a couple weeks.

Here's a link to the tripod I got. I added the high wind package to it. Quality looks very good as I did open it up but I've been working 70+ hours a week so don't watch much TV lately. If it sets up as easily as advertised I will consider it worth the money.

https://www.tv4rv.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=13

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom