New to towing! Help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New2towing

I recently bought a 24' travel trailer (cruiselite) it is a gross weight of 5400 lbs. I bought a 2007 Yukon Denali (6.2L AWD) rated to tow 7900 GVWR. When I picked up the trailer to bring it home I found out the person I bought the Yukon from wasn't all that honest about the work that had been done and I ended up barely getting the trailer home. Took the Denali in and had to put a new transmission and transmission lines,  fuel injection system and compressor for the shocks. The auto shop is telling me that when all the work is complete the Yukon will tow the trailer no problem. My neighbor is telling me that it won't and I need to cut my losses and get a 3/4 ton truck. But I now have more money into the Yukon than it would sell for.
My mom and I are getting ready to take a trip across the US and now I'm scared to tow the trailer for multiple reasons. One...obviously...can the Yukon Denali even tow that weight? I bought the trailer 2400 lbs under what it said it was rated to tow. However when I was barely able to limp it home I started doubting my decision. Second, replacing everything that I have on the Yukon how likely is it that the weight of the trailer will cause something else to fail and my mom and I get stranded...
I've lost all confidence and i don't even want to pull the trailer out of driveway to go practice backing.

Any advice or thoughts on if I'll be ok towing that trailer with my Yukon. Or is my neighbor right and it's too heavy for an SUV.

Are you sure it has a GROSS weight of 5400#, not net?  I pull a 20ft TT, net 5100#, loaded maybe 6200#, with a 2005 YukonXL, 5.3V8, rated to tow 8100#, just fine.  With your 6.2L, as long as you keep the total loaded weight of TT under 7000#, you will be fine, might struggle a little on major mountain inclines, but oh well.  I wish I had the 6.2L at times. 

Your neighbor is obviously unfamiliar with the Yukon.  It IS a 1/2 ton truck chassis - just a different body style than a pick-up.  It will tow a 5400 lb trailer just fine, even if that is the trailer dry (empty) weight.  As spencerj says, the trailer weight typically quoted on the sales lot is the unloaded weight, not the gross (loaded or max) weight.  There should be a federal weight sticker/placard on the front left corner of the trailer or the tongue and it will show the trailer GVWR.  That's the max load weight and will be closer to actual than the dry weight.

I checked the sticker and it does say the GVWR is 7566, I guess the other was dry weight. But you guys think I'll be ok? Seems like I've replaced everything on the trick that could cause me problems on the road. 

My neighbor was saying something like the SUV doesn't have the stability to tow a 24' (I bought stabilizer hitch). He also said something about no cooling fan on transmission... which worried me because the shop said my transmission oil was burnt.  But I've replaced all of that now.

As Gary said, the Yukon is the same as a half ton pick up, and will have the same stability. There no cooling fan on any transmission. The transmission fluid runs through a cooler on the radiator, and may also have an additional cooler too. If it doesn't have an additional cooler, you can always add one. Now that you're all fixed up, hook up and tow to your hearts content.
I bet your neighbor uses a one ton dually just to get a 20 pound bag of dog food from the store. ;D

You will be fine IMO.  1/2 tons should not pull over 25', although many do.  Although I have the XL version, the only time you might ever have a small situation is under severe windy conditions, and that is simple, slow down.  Does your Denali have the 'Tow' button on the end of the Gear shifting arm?  if yes, use it. 

Thank you all. I feel much better.  It does have a "tow" button and I'll use it for sure!

kdbgoat is right.  My neighbor has a F350 diesel as his daily driver. 

I plan on going pretty slow, and avoid highway until I really feel comfortable.  I'm heading out to practice this weekend!! Thanks again!!

What kind of Stabilizer Hitch did you buy.  That plays into a good towing experience, a lot  ???  Did you have OR get help setting it up correctly? 

Welcome to the Forum!

First, the mechanic said you were good for towing.  Do you trust your mechanic?

With the correct GVWR for the TT known, you still should be fine.  Pack a bit conservatively.  Do NOT take everything you MIGHT need!  If you need something along the way, there is always a Target or similar close by.

Hook up and go practice with confidence  -  in an empty parking lot where there is nothing to hit  ;D  ::)  The Denali is a very nice ride, and a competent tow vehicle within its' limits, and you are within its' limits.

Continue to read as much as the eyeballs can handle here and other forums.  Look through our Library, button in the top banner.  The more you read, the more you learn and the fewer newbie mistakes you make.  It makes camping much more enjoyable.

Welcome.  The Denali may not tow like a good 3/4 ton will, but as long as your numbers are correct, or even close to correct, the Denali will be fine.  If you have time, it would be good to take a couple of practice runs.  Especially for parking.  Take the setup to a an unused parking lot (church or school when it's out), and practice backing and forthing.  Double check everything before you pull away and don't be intimidated by it all.  Be wary and aware, but don't let it overwhelm you.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

kdbgoat said:
I bet your neighbor uses a one ton dually just to get a 20 pound bag of dog food from the store. ;D

He'd have loved living next door to me.  Before I got rid of all our bikes I found that I could carry $100 worth of groceries and a 50lb bag of dog chow on my bagger. 

I agree with your mechanic.
FYI- the engine and transmission work as a team and are controlled by the same computer.
Transmissions fail because the seals get hard and crack. This allows slippage, slippage generates heat, heat reduces the longevity of the seals. Its a vicious cycle until total failure. When the transmission fails, clutch pack material/seal material travel in the fluid and plug up the filter. Replacing the filter will not fix the problem. Only solution is a complete rebuild. Fortunately most shops will add the upgrades when rebuilding the transmission to make it bullet proof. Flushing the tranny lines is common practice, and they may need to be replaced it they have significant rust.

I am guessing this truck has some miles on it. I would have the mechanic inspect the cooling system too. Not much more work to replace the water pump, hoses, thermostat, and flush the system while he has the engine half apart. Plus it will give you peace of mind knowing that system is up to the task as well.

Next will be a 4 corner brake job with new pads, rotors/drums, calipers, hoses, and a complete flush of brake fluid.

Mechanically the truck will be in great shape. It'll be the little things that go out next, window switches, sticking locks, etc. For the locks, use powered graphite. Graphite will not draw in moisture or dirt. It will lubricate the tumblers and help prevent your locks from freezing in the winter. When you replace the light bulbs, put a little die-lectric grease on the contacts. This will stop corrosion and extend the longevity of your bulbs.

Enjoy that new ride and trailer!

here's one.... what is the first thing that says how much you can tow....with any set up? and the most over looked..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrWil
Back
Top Bottom