A/C keeps tripping the breaker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

31qbss

We're just about to go on our first trip and I've been testing out the electrics, etc, these past few days.  Having a problem with the AlC right now and I'm not sure if it's because we're plugged into 115v (ie. the house).  The A/C keeps tripping the breaker and turning itself off.  Will be be solved once we plug into 50v at the camp site?  I've been running it to test that it will stay on all day since we're taking the dog and there may be a couple of hours where he will be in the camper.  Obviously I don't want to leave the dog in the camper in 90 degree heat ... hence trying to test it now.

Also, there is a pretty bad formaldahyde smell since it's a new camper, and so keeping the A/C and fans on is helping to reduce it.

Can anyone help??

The problem is not the voltage, it is the amperage. It sounds like you are currently plugged into a normal household circuit which is 120v/15-20amp. Your AC probably operates on 120v but needs more amps, normally about 17amp to run and more to start up. When you plug into a 120v/30amp receptacle at a campground you will have enough amperage to operate the AC. To operate it at home you need to install a 30amp breaker with at least 10ga. wire to the receptacle you will plug into.

Woody

OK .. thank you.  That was the answer I was hoping for.  I just wanted to be confident that it will work continuously when we are on the camp ground, just in case we can't take the dog somewhere with us. 

I might also suggest something obvious.  As soon as you get to the campground and get hooked up, it might be a good idea to run the A/C for a while, whether you need it or not.  With your dog, you don't want to wait until the following day, turn it on, leave, and then find out later that it hasn't worked as anticipated.

ArdraF

Woody's explanation is the most likely, but to be sure, I would plug it into a known good 20A circuit with no other loads on it and see if keeps running.  The A/C should be able to run continuously on a 20A circuit, but only if it's the only load.  If it works on such a circuit, then it will be fine on the campground 30A service.

Absolutely!  That was exactly the reason why I started running it and everything else a week before our departure! 

Wish I had a 20A circuit to try out.  Interestingly it ran almost all yesterday afternoon, but it wasn't nearly as hot.  Also today I put on the bathroom fan, which probably also takes some of the ampage away from the A/C.

Back
Top Bottom