dingy towing a 2019 chevy equinox

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barber

Towing a 2019 chevy equinox. The manual doesn't mention pulling a fuse. If you don't pull a fuse will it rack up miles?
Any other comments are welcome.
Thank You
Barber

Does the manual say it can even be flat towed? When we looked at the new Equinox earlier this year, only the small-engine versions could be towed starting with the 2018 model year. This was due to the newer transmission. A larger version of the attachment can be viewed in this message.

Attachments

• Chevy_flat-tow-2.jpg
    Chevy_flat-tow-2.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 49
John Hilley said:
The gas 2.0l and diesel 1.6l can be Dingy Towed

I don't know about the 2019, but the 2018 Equinox with the 2.0 cannot be towed because it comes with the nine speed electronic transmission. That's why I bought the smaller 1.5L engine and six speed tranny. You are correct that the diesel can also be towed because it has the same six speed tranny.

From the 2019 Equinox Owners Manual:

Front-wheel-drive (1.5 L gas, 2.0L
gas, and 1.6L diesel engine) and
all-wheel-drive (2.0L gas and 1.6L
diesel engine) vehicles may be
dinghy towed from the front.

I sure hope that is accurate because I bought one and am planning to flat tow it.

Thanks for that info; The owners manual would be the authority. The printed info we were given by a Chevy dealer says that, for 2019 models of the Equinox, only the 1.5L FWD and 1.6 FWD & AWD are towable all 4 down.

Thanks!  I made the dealer pucker a little (OK, a lot) when I said I wouldn't complete the deal unless he provided to me, in writing, that it could be flat towed.  The first document he gave me was the one you posted  ::)

That caused quite a scramble on their part!

LOL, I can imagine the scramble.

Because we occasionally tow and launch a boat with the toad, we opted for the Ford Explorer with the 3.5L engine. For each of the Explorer versions we checked out and test drove, I asked the salesman to remove the manual from the shrink wrap so I could verify the towability. He was quite happy to do it.

FWIW the Explorer replaced our aging Suburban which has been towed behind the coach for a number of years (and many miles). We didn't want/need another Suburban (or Tahoe), but the Equinox looked like a great replacement - until we got to the towability issue.

Just bought a 2019 Equinox AWD LS.  Prior to purchase, was all over the dealership and techs to determine if I could tow this vehicle 4 down.  They provided me the attached document specific to the VIN of my vehicle.  I CAN TOW IT!   Thought I'd share this info on a most confusing topic.  Good travels.

Attachments

• 4dwntow006.pdf
    239.3 KB · Views: 76
Thanks for the follow-up.  Ready to go out for a long one and you've built my confidence.

Great Travels.

Just towed from Iowa to Albuquerque with no issues, well, other than it was spitting snow and 37.  But fear not, it turned into a steady rain when I went to unhook and plug in  :-\

The "spitting" got me thinking.  I had armor on my jeep front to help with paint pitting.  Guess I'll get a bra for the Equinox front.  Anyone have a suggestion regarding a make or model?  I was thinking of a LeBra, but would like suggestions.

So the 2019 2T 9 speed auto equinox can be flat towed but the model year 2018 2T 9 speed auto cannot.
Is this correct? I was looking at a 18 today and just started researching it tonight.
Thanks, Ted

I can't speak for the 2019 model, but you are correct about the 2018. Only the 1.5L and 1.6 diesel can be flat towed. Any unit that has the 9 speed electronic transmission cannot be flat towed.

Just bought a 2019 Equinox AWD LS. Prior to purchase, was all over the dealership and techs to determine if I could tow this vehicle 4 down. They provided me the attached document specific to the VIN of my vehicle. I CAN TOW IT! Thought I'd share this info on a most confusing topic. Good travels.
The "spitting" got me thinking. I had armor on my jeep front to help with paint pitting. Guess I'll get a bra for the Equinox front. Anyone have a suggestion regarding a make or model? I was thinking of a LeBra, but would like suggestions.
So we have the same engine transmission as you with a 2019 Chevy equinox. Read your post, have you dinghy towed it and had success? Thank you.

From the 2019 Equinox Owners Manual:

Front-wheel-drive (1.5 L gas, 2.0L
gas, and 1.6L diesel engine) and
all-wheel-drive (2.0L gas and 1.6L
diesel engine) vehicles may be
dinghy towed from the front.

I sure hope that is accurate because I bought one and am planning to flat tow it.
So you bought the 2.0?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom