Unable to shutoff Mobley sleep mode

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

AT&T recently had a two towers down for a couple days in my area, causing a loss of service due to congestion on the remaining tower. After multiple calls to AT&T after they fixed the towers (but while I was still having connection issues) they suggested I call ZTE. ZTE had me do a factory reset on the Mobley which eventually did seem to resolve the connection issue.

However as a result of the reset the unit defaulted to the 30 minute sleep mode. When I go to advance settings the longest timeout available is now two hours, not the "never" which was there when I bought it. Has anyone else run into this? Are the any secret settings of which I'm not aware?

AT&T recently pushed out a software update to the Mobley's that removed the "Never" timeout choice in an apparent attempt to limit fulltime out of the vehicle use. The same update also locked the SIM so it can't be used in another device. Strangely, the AT&T tech support folks seem to have no problem supplying the "PUK codes" that can be used to unlock the SIM though. I use my Mobley SIM in a Netgear Unite hotspot, and I changed the default SIM lock code so the update can't lock it if I put it back in the Mobley. I did request the SIM PUK codes though, just in case I should need them.

NY_Dutch said:
AT&T recently pushed out a software update to the Mobley's that removed the "Never" timeout choice in an apparent attempt to limit fulltime out of the vehicle use. The same update also locked the SIM so it can't be used in another device. Strangely, the AT&T tech support folks seem to have no problem supplying the "PUK codes" that can be used to unlock the SIM though. I use my Mobley SIM in a Netgear Unite hotspot, and I changed the default SIM lock code so the update can't lock it if I put it back in the Mobley. I did request the SIM PUK codes though, just in case I should need them.
That's not good news. I don't think I have another device to use so I could unlock the SIM . I've got a "gray market" Verizon 3G mifi, a couple of iPhones and a Kyocero flip phone.

It's really not that big of a deal.  The "sleep" mode timer only comes into play if the voltage at the Mobley drops below 11.5 volts.  As long as you're plugged into electricity or charging your batteries via solar it won't shut down.  I have my Mobley on an AC adapter and it runs for days at a time even after the update.  I reboot it every couple of days but that's a different issue.

While boondocking, the countdown timer will start if the Mobley voltage drops below 11.5 volts.  Momentary dips don't count as the timer will reset when the voltage rises above that level.  A continuous drain to 11.5 volts is pretty severe since 50% discharge is 12.20 volts.

The Mobley will also enter sleep mode if it's source voltage drops below 9.0 volts.

I?d like more info on requesting the PUK code.

Who do I call?

Do you need to give a reason?

What info will I need when I call?

Guess I need to be spoon-fed on this.

Lou Schneider said:
It's really not that big of a deal.  The "sleep" mode timer only comes into play if the voltage at the Mobley drops below 11.5 volts.  As long as you're plugged into electricity or charging your batteries via solar it won't shut down. 

That's counter to what I'm experiencing. I'm plugged in and it's still happening. It's plugged in to the dash 12V receptacle and I just checked voltage, the gauge is showing about 13 which is what I would expect since my coach batteries charge when on shore power. After a couple hours the Mobley shuts off, which is what the timeout is set for.

Is the dash outlet on the house or chassis battery?  The gauge probably shows voltage on the house battery.

Lou Schneider said:
Is the dash outlet on the house or chassis battery?  The gauge probably shows voltage on the house battery.

I am assuming it's on chassis, but I honestly don't know. The gauge I checked was, based upon that assumption, the gauge cluster chassis gauge. House voltage from Xantrex is 13.7V, so it seems like either way I'm well over the voltages you mention.

For giggles I'll switch it to the OEM wall 12V receptacle which I assume is on the house batteries

Heli_av8tor said:
I?d like more info on requesting the PUK code.

Who do I call?

Do you need to give a reason?

What info will I need when I call?

Guess I need to be spoon-fed on this.

I just used the chat feature with AT&T and gave them the phone number associated with my mobley and said I needed the PUK code and would also like the second backup PUK code just in case I needed it at some point. Was easy, and they gave me codes in just a few minutes. I haven?t needed to use them yet but have them saved for future use.

Vicki

NY_Dutch said:
I use my Mobley SIM in a Netgear Unite hotspot, and I changed the default SIM lock code so the update can't lock it if I put it back in the Mobley.

If I don't have another hotspot, is there an alternative method to accomplishing this?

Back2PA said:
If I don't have another hotspot, is there an alternative method to accomplishing this?

Unfortunately, there's no way to see or change the SIM unlock code from within the Mobley's dashboard or the My AT&T account manager. I suggest requesting the PUK (PIN Unlock Key) codes 1 & 2 from AT&T tech support and keeping them on hand for future use if needed. As long as the SIM stays in the Mobley, it'll work fine as is.

NY_Dutch said:
As long as the SIM stays in the Mobley, it'll work fine as is.

Dutch, I guess I'm missing something here, as the SIM is in the Mobley and it's not working fine

I am not sure I am following, how is it not working fine, other than no longer staying on indefinitely (a feature AT&T removed with the firmware update)?

Ok I misunderstood. Yes, it works, but goes to sleep every 2 hours. I don't consider that "working fine" but understand the situation

If you need it to operate over 2 hours, you might look back on the early parts of this never ending thread at
https://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1884642-ZTE-Mobley-hacking-(Mainly-trying-to-get-it-running-outside-a-car)
where they talk about building a fluctuating voltage power supply to trick the Mobley into staying on.  This was an issue with hte original firmware which also lacked a no time out option.

Back2PA said:
Dutch, I guess I'm missing something here, as the SIM is in the Mobley and it's not working fine

The SIM is working fine if you're able to use the Mobley for Internet service. The SIM does not control the time out setting, that's internal to the Mobley itself. The SIM (Subscriber Information Module) only contains the information needed to register the device with the AT&T network and connect the Mobley to the Internet. It does not control the other Mobley features, nor does it even care if it's in a Mobley or some other device. So the SIM is fine, it's the Mobley software that's causing your problem.

NY_Dutch said:
So the SIM is fine, it's the Mobley software that's causing your problem.

Ok thanks, understand. I'll just have to live with it.

NY_Dutch said:
Someone on another forum said they're using a digital lamp timer that turns off the Mobley for one minute every two hours to keep it from timing out.

Nice! I'll give it a try

We left home yesterday on a 2500 mile drive (by car). In preparation, I recently dug out my trusty VZW Jetpack and was alarmed to see the Li ion battery bulging and had popped off the rear cover of the Jetpack. A new battery, and the Jetpack was back in business. Haven't turned it off since we left home, including overnight at the hotel.

This afternoon, as we're proceeding across I-40, I remember I have my Mobley in my bag of tricks. Fire it up and I'm online. Then I experience the sleep mode twice in succession and requiring turning off power, so back to the Jetpack. Meanwhile I recall reading this topic recently.

Back
Top Bottom