Unable to shutoff Mobley sleep mode

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The new settings default to the minimum timeout of 30 minutes.  I set mine to 2 hours and the Mobley keeps running for days.  My wall wart puts out slightly more than 12 volts, so the Mobley thinks it's in a running car and doesn't activate the Power Save timer.

Thanks Lou. I'm running my Mobley off 120V supplied by a 12V-powered inverter.

Lou Schneider said:
My wall wart puts out slightly more than 12 volts, so the Mobley thinks it's in a running car and doesn't activate the Power Save timer.

Lou, mine is plugged into a 12V receptacle ("cigarette lighter") USB converter with a stated 12-24V input, 5V output (standard output for USB, correct?). Even if I use a 120V USB wall wart, they all put out 5V also, so I'm curious about your setup as I'd like to avoid having to use the timer mentioned above. I'm set for the 2 hr timeout and it times out every 2 hours

THe other thread said they disabled the "Always On" mode. alas on the T-mobile version it never had the "Always On" mode which is why I'm calling T-Mobile to shut mine down and going to someting else. plus they are now advertisign a cheeper plan still unlimited everythiugn  Will talk abou that too.

Back2PA said:
Lou, mine is plugged into a 12V receptacle ("cigarette lighter") USB converter with a stated 12-24V input, 5V output (standard output for USB, correct?). Even if I use a 120V USB wall wart, they all put out 5V also, so I'm curious about your setup as I'd like to avoid having to use the timer mentioned above. I'm set for the 2 hr timeout and it times out every 2 hours

You're actually doing a double conversion, from 12 volts to the USB 5 volts, then the cable converts the 5 volts back up to 12 volts for the Mobley.

It may be the 5 - 12 volt conversion has a slightly low output, not a problem when Mobley had the "Never" timeout, but now the voltage is not high enough to let the Mobley think the car is running so it's starting the shutdown timer.

I use a 12 volt Mobley wall wart at home and a direct cigarette lighter to Mobley cable in the car and RV and so far haven't had any problems.

Ah. Think I'll get the wall wart which will cover me 95% of the time and use my current USB setup which covers car/mobile use. And with the Verizon plan you mentioned in your other post, the Mobley may get relegated to backup

The simplest "fix" is to just move the Mobley's SIM to another hotspot device like the Netgear Unite series. No timeouts, they allow more device connections, and they accept external antennas including MIMO setups. Do NOT move the SIM to a phone though. AT&T has been known to shut people down for doing that.

NY_Dutch, that will not work anymore, unless someone took active precautions, as the new 1.0.3 Mobley firmware also sets a SIM pin and locks the SIM to the Mobley.

Isaac-1 said:
NY_Dutch, that will not work anymore, unless someone took active precautions, as the new 1.0.3 Mobley firmware also sets a SIM pin and locks the SIM to the Mobley.

All that's needed to unlock it is to contact AT&T tech support and request the PUK (Personal Unlock Key) codes for your SIM. I have them for mine in case I decide to put it back in the Mobley. I've also already changed the SIM lock code though, so hopefully it can't be changed by the AT&T update now. Once you have the PUK code, just enter the incorrect PIN 3-4 times until you're asked for the PUK code.

NY_Dutch said:
The simplest "fix" is to just move the Mobley's SIM to another hotspot device like the Netgear Unite series. No timeouts, they allow more device connections, and they accept external antennas including MIMO setups. Do NOT move the SIM to a phone though. AT&T has been known to shut people down for doing that.

The updated MOBLEY software (V1.0.3) will put a lock on your SIM card. This means if your Mobley has already updated to version V1.0.3 it's not an easy swap. See the below article from rvmobileinternet.com

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att-connected-car-mobley-sims-reporting-as-pin-locked/

DutchEagle said:
The updated MOBLEY software (V1.0.3) will put a lock on your SIM card. This means if your Mobley has already updated to version V1.0.3 it's not an easy swap. See the below article from rvmobileinternet.com

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att-connected-car-mobley-sims-reporting-as-pin-locked/

It's actually quite easy. Just ask AT&T tech support for the PUK codes for your SIM and unlock it. It took me less than 10 minutes on the phone to get the codes. After you unlock the SIM, set a new PIN code. That may prevent the update from changing it again.

NY_Dutch said:
The simplest "fix" is to just move the Mobley's SIM to another hotspot device like the Netgear Unite series. No timeouts, they allow more device connections, and they accept external antennas including MIMO setups.

Dutch, I have this inexpensive Netgear range extender which I use very occasionally - modest range increase and allows many device connections. Since it's just me the number of devices isn't an issue, typically laptop, phone and Roku. Aside from the timeout issue, what would a Unite do for me? Speak slowly and use crayons  ;)

Back2PA said:
Dutch, I have this inexpensive Netgear range extender which I use very occasionally - modest range increase and allows many device connections. Since it's just me the number of devices isn't an issue, typically laptop, phone and Roku. Aside from the timeout issue, what would a Unite do for me? Speak slowly and use crayons  ;)

Maybe nothing in your case... I have found that our AT&T/Netgear Unite hotspot typically has a better signal and faster speeds than the Mobley, but not by a lot. Connecting an external antenna helps even more though in weaker signal areas. I also like being able to just stick the Unite in my pocket to take it with us while visiting friends, doing laundry at a laundromat, etc., so we can stream videos, download large photos, and so forth, without using up the more expensive data on our phones. That also lets us use a VOIP app for phone calls on our Verizon phones using the AT&T towers when we're out and about where AT&T has better service than Verizon.

Yesterday, at our S&B seasonal home, I plugged the Mobley into a 110V wall outlet, and it hasn't shut off or timed out since. I'm assuming that the wall outlet is giving me a higher voltage than the 12V-powered inverter in the car  ???

It's likely your AC adapter's voltage in the car was lower unless you have a pure sine wave inverter.  Thanks for confirming that my experience wasn't a fluke!

Aye Lou, I doubt it's pure sine wave for under $25  ;D

NY_Dutch said:
Maybe nothing in your case... I have found that our AT&T/Netgear Unite hotspot typically has a better signal and faster speeds than the Mobley, but not by a lot. Connecting an external antenna helps even more though in weaker signal areas. I also like being able to just stick the Unite in my pocket to take it with us while visiting friends, doing laundry at a laundromat, etc., so we can stream videos, download large photos, and so forth, without using up the more expensive data on our phones.

I use a USB to Mobley cable and an inexpensive rechargable USB battery pack like you'd use to charge a cell phone when I want to make my Mobley portable.  A rubber band holds them together nicely and the battery powers the Mobley for several days.

I haven't tried this combo since the software update. so I guess it will make the Mobley will time out.  But that's not a major problem.

I've got the Mobley wall wart Lou suggested on order and will report the results.

Lou Schneider said:
I use a USB to Mobley cable and an inexpensive rechargable USB battery pack like you'd use to charge a cell phone when I want to make my Mobley portable.  A rubber band holds them together nicely and the battery powers the Mobley for several days.

I haven't tried this combo since the software update. so I guess it will make the Mobley will time out.  But that's not a major problem.

I used to do the same thing, Lou. But switching the SIM to the Unite is more convenient for just slipping into a pocket. 

Back
Top Bottom