Rolling on by and Trees near I-10 in Floorida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobtop46

I am traveling from Florida to Texas for the first time by car, instead of MH, doing 79 in a 70 (cruise control set) in the slow lane mostly, occasionally passing in the left lane.  After lunch I notice in the distance behind me a Fifth wheel and it is gaining on me, slowly but surely.  Fifteen minutes later goes rolling on by and within 15 more minutes is out of site.  I hit some rolling hills, and think that was the only thing that slowed him down.  I did notice that it looked like the passenger side fender well was loose and looked like it may have been repaired before.  I hope he arrives safely.

On a side note lots of tree damage and crews out in the area of the Hurricane.  Both lanes are open both ways, but some of the logs have have cut off very close to the Yellow or white line, with the breakdown lane blocked or the shoulder on the median side. You can see the rotation of the storm as you pass.  Coming from the east, all the trees were blown down toward the north, then at the heart of it just gone then on the other side all the trees blown down to the south.

I drove that route yesterday and saw the devastation.  Not pretty for sure.  Many line crews working on power along the way so I'm sure there are still areas waiting for services to be restored.

Update:  Yesterdays observations on my last day of travel to Texas. 

Half way through Louisiana I saw an air conditioner shroud on the side of the road.  Then just before the 18 mile bridge over the swamp I saw a fifth wheel on the side of the road with what looked like 2 blow outs on the passenger side.  Looked like hubs were close to sitting on the road, and fender debris all over the road.  Not sure what caused this blow out it was 65 degrees with a light drizzle.  My guess a road hazard or speed.  Roadside assist had just showed up.  An hour later I saw pickup with a box cargo trailer on the side of the road near a rest stop, blown out passenger side tire and fender debris.  Rough day for trailer tires.

We drove down I75 through central Georgia a couple weeks ago and there was a stretch of perhaps 10 miles where darn near every billboard had literally been destroyed by Michael as it passed through (and there are a LOT of billboards in that area).  Not just the advertising torn - the entire structure blown down.  Devastating for the highway advertising industry, but maybe it was much needed urban renewal.  The area was so over-supplied with signage that 1/3 or more of them were empty or had old ads torn & dangling. I suspect many of those billboards will never be rebuilt, which is perhaps a small positive side effect of a bad storm.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
We drove down I75 through central Georgia a couple weeks ago and there was a stretch of perhaps 10 miles where darn near every billboard had literally been destroyed by Michael as it passed through (and there are a LOT of billboards in that area).  Not just the advertising torn - the entire structure blown down.  Devastating for the highway advertising industry, but maybe it was much needed urban renewal.  The area was so over-supplied with signage that 1/3 or more of them were empty or had old ads torn & dangling. I suspect many of those billboards will never be rebuilt, which is perhaps a small positive side effect of a bad storm.

very good description of the damage---I didn't notice much until I got a few miles past Macon going south

Back
Top Bottom