Will my RV insurance cover a cracked frame

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donuts

After our last trip I found the paneling in the bedroom of our Fox Mountain 5th wheel separating and cracking in several areas. I took it to the dealer to be repaired and find out why this happened and I just found out that the interior paneling damage is due to a cracked frame with the crack located somewhere close to the pin box.
My question is wether our RV insurance will cover this. Any ideas?

Thank you, Stan

I read about the owners of a fifth wheel who had a cracked frame, and the insurance paid, but I dont recall how much of the total cost.  I would call your insurance company and ask.

Here is a link to their blog starting where they first discovered the broken frame.

https://rv-dreams.typepad.com/rvdreams_journal/2017/05/really-bad-news-for-our-fifth-wheel-sevierville-tn.html

My insurance totaled our trailer for a cracked (ripped, torn) frame.  We were lucky I discovered it at low speed or someone could have gotten killed.  I tried getting Forest River-Coachmen and Lippert to compensate us for the difference.  The TT was less than 3 years old.  The next stop is court.

File a report with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA).

I would say it depends on why the frame cracked, if it is a design flaw. Then it's up to the company that designed it. If say you spiked the brakes ... Well I could argue both ways.  It all depends.

Best advice is the advice given me when I blew an engine (Well turns out engine was murdered by a pot hole) File the claim and see what happens.. I got lucky.

John From Detroit said:
I would say it depends on why the frame cracked, if it is a design flaw. Then it's up to the company that designed it. If say you spiked the brakes ... Well I could argue both ways.  It all depends.

Best advice is the advice given me when I blew an engine (Well turns out engine was murdered by a pot hole) File the claim and see what happens.. I got lucky.
Hard to say how this happened. 3 years ago we made a trip to Alaska with the trailer less than a year old. The only road that was a problem was about 40 miles long and under major construction. Fast forward 3 years later and in those 3 years we have hit numerous potholes, but I can't pin it down to what actually caused the crack. Sierra RV is going to see how bad the crack/cracks are when they pull the panel on the outside under the bedroom floor and possibly the front cap.
I don't want to turn a claim in if it's not a sure thing. If they don't cover it due to unknown factors or just say its my driving, we will be hit with increased policy cost.
Northwood said this usually happens with a gooseneck. I don't use that setup and they didn't offer to pay any of the cost. What a surprise.

Stan

I think you are unjustly worried abut filing a claim.  If  it is denied, it didn't happen as far as the insurance company is concerned.  And if they pay out, you got the value you paid for. Despite popular hysteria, a single claim that occurs in routine operation probably has no effect at all on your premiums.  Besides, claims history is only one of dozens of factors, many of which are out of your control anyway.

Surprised to hear this kind of problem with a Northwood RV. Let us know how it turns out.

I've filed several claims with AAA over the years and they haven't raised my rates. I'd suggest contacting your insurance company.

Definitely contact your insurance carrier.  If you do not ask, the answer is NO!  If they do not cover the loss, you need a different carrier anyway.  As Gary said, rates do not go you because you FILED a claim.  They SOMETIMES go up when they PAY a claim.

donuts said:
I don't want to turn a claim in if it's not a sure thing. If they don't cover it due to unknown factors or just say its my driving, we will be hit with increased policy cost.
Northwood said this usually happens with a gooseneck. I don't use that setup and they didn't offer to pay any of the cost. What a surprise.

Stan

Insurance companies count on that.. Your premimums will go up. Claim or no claim. makes no difference. but the insurance company counts on you saying EXACTLY WHAT YOU POSTED.

if the frame is cracked and they can prove you went off road Jumping over ditches and gullies and such. THEN they may raise your rates for a CHARABLE claim

But if it was pot hole damage. that's not your fault and your rate increase will be the "Across the board" Same as if you are legally parked and a drunk slams into your ride.

Also if they DENY the claim. it will make no difference.  Though as I said ther rates WILL increase. but then so will the rated for everyone else with your insurance company.

Talk to your agent about this.

I would also want to know if this was an area that has a history of cracking,, would make a huge difference in court and they know it.>>>Dan

John From Detroit said:
Insurance companies count on that.. Your premiums will go up. Claim or no claim. makes no difference. but the insurance company counts on you saying EXACTLY WHAT YOU POSTED.

if the frame is cracked and they can prove you went off road Jumping over ditches and gullies and such. THEN they may raise your rates for a CHARABLE claim

But if it was pot hole damage. that's not your fault and your rate increase will be the "Across the board" Same as if you are legally parked and a drunk slams into your ride.

Also if they DENY the claim. it will make no difference.  Though as I said their rates WILL increase. but then so will the rated for everyone else with your insurance company.

Talk to your agent about this.

Funny thing is I did talk to my agent. He said "well go ahead and turn it in and see what happens". Wow, what a guy. Glad he had my back.
My wife worked for his father who owns the agency so we have been loyal to them even with the son taking over.
We are still waiting to see where the crack is. If its at a weld, well I think Northwood would be responsible. If not, I think we will turn it in to the insurance. I have hit numerous pot holes in California since the state sucks at repairing roads.
Thanks to everyone who has given me their 2 cents.

Stan

That would be considered a structural failure (fault). What does your warranty say is the time period for structural problems?  Usually that time period is longer than the basic warranty on the rest of the RV.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
That would be considered a structural failure (fault). What does your warranty say is the time period for structural problems?  Usually that time period is longer than the basic warranty on the rest of the RV.
Not sure what the structure warranty is Gary. I'll email Sierra RV and ask that question. I should have pictures this coming week of the damage. I'll try to post them. I've tried to post pictures before, but they wouldn't upload. maybe the file was too large.

Stan

Picture file size too large is a common issue.  I have an Apple, and Resize Lite is a free app which is simple to use and does a great job for me.

I'm trying to send a picture and have resized it to fit, but it won't upload to the body of the post. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Never had a problem uploading a picture ever until now.

Stan

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_125.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_125.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 111
donuts said:
After our last trip I found the paneling in the bedroom of our Fox Mountain 5th wheel separating and cracking in several areas.

IMO, Based on your picture, that appears to be a weld that came lose.  Seems like an easy fix for a welder. 

With that said, I would bet there is more to your problem than that 'one' weld if the paneling is separating and cracking issues are occurring.  I don't know how bad that is?

I would get a second opinion from another professional or Dealer.
Good luck.

None of the welds in the picture look that good. If it were me I would ad gussets on all the joints and have a good welder repair.

Wow! Those stringers are actually torn/ripped from the frame/support section. Looks to me like the welds held.  IMO pulling it back together and rewelding with gusset support would be a bandaid fix. Something else going on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom