Need some help with our broken rear view camera system...PLEASE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YaddaYadda

I am pretty much an automotive and electrical dunce.....This is an older Voyager wired system.  Worked great for years...until we hit a pothole on I 80 in CA and than the picture went away.  I checked the connections for the monitor under the dash and they seemed OK.  RV tech removed the camera and patched in his own Voyager camera that was working.  No improvement in monitor.  So, seems the monitor or 50' cable is the problem. 

Screen is dull blue/white and no picture on DAY setting and dark on NIGHT setting.  Contrast has no effect.  Brightness works on DAY setting.  Camera 1 or 2 no difference. 

There are other things to check:  There could be 1 or 2 fuses in the monitor harness......is there a short.....is there a ground issue.......Don't think ohms can be checked on a 50 foot cable. 

Tim Lazaroe of RV Cams said to send him equipment and he will bench test...for free... and advise.  Might go this route, but first, I was hoping some one on this forum could forward some possible solutions.  Sounds like running a new cable is a 1/2 day job, even tho it runs under the coach along the frame. 

I am not adverse to buying another Voyager WIRED unit as I have been hearing and reading that WIRELESS systems have problems. 

Any help is much appreciated.  8)

We went with a Furion wireless system, but you need to be careful when selecting. A "backup camera" is designed for a car and does not have the range needed for an RV. If you go with a camera with a 100-foot range, it will work great in an RV.

A local RV tech used his working Voyager camera and said since no picture came thru on the monitor....the monitor or 50' cable is bad.  I talked to ASA Voyager who were not sure exactly which VOM 78 monitor we had  as I could not read the nameplate on the back.  There is a ground wire going to the camera and that is next to check.  There might be another ground wire from the monitor that goes to the frame or elsewhere.  ASA could not tell.  A automotive pal is coming over to see about this.

You can check the cable with a meter, disconnect both ends, short one wire to another and check resistance, should be almost 0.  If it were a fuse you would not likely get any illumination on the monitor.  If you can dismount the camera and using another cable, go short and see if it works.  If you can hook the good camera to monitor with short cable should tell you monitor or cable, but check the cable for continuity.  Your automotive pal should know how.

The jolt sort of points to connections.

Anytime someone starts one of these type threads with "I have been using for years" I tend to reply with, you should update to a modern system.      The better ones of these camera systems have greatly improved in just the last 2-3 years in terms of not only resolution, but also low light operation, color accuracy and monitor brightness.    Making a 10 year old camera system have an inferior picture to a $50 cheap import system with a $5 camera. 

New Voyager color, wired unit in place.  Never could find the exact cause of malfunction of our 2003 b/w unit.  Bought from RVCams.com  Good price, great help and service from Tim.  Local handyman did 95% of the work.  8-9 hours.  New cable also installed. 

Back
Top Bottom