Window Awnings and/or shades or Covers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

Getting ready to handle this project.  I put awnings on our last coach and really liked them, but having seen the double roller, see-thru and opaque, wondering if I should bother with the awnings.  If I do Both it will double the cost of the project.  (it's only money, right?). I know that many of you have both.  Need both?  Here is another thought, the mesh covers for the windows.  Allows air flow, cuts light, can be up in wind.  Anyone use these?  Thoughts?

We have both, but we are in AZ so our situation may be differenct

I have all three (interior, external black mesh and awnings). Wouldn't be without any of them,

Just to throw another option out there to ya because I saw it earlier this week and thought what a great idea in the right circumstance.
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-Products-Steel-Umbrella/dp/B074TVYQC2/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1541643402&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=half+umbrellas+for+walls

A fella in another forum used these along with two of these https://www.amazon.com/Buyeverything-Premium-Quality-Aluminum-Professional/dp/B07JMWFZF3/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1541643731&sr=1-1&keywords=Double+suction+cup+with+handle&dpID=41Wih9hcVLL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch to provide shade in front of his camper where the awning was a little short of where he wanted it to end.

One of those awnings that only went from the rear of the camper to the entry door and there was about 10' of not protected area in front he grilled and cooked at that he wanted shaded. He put two of those suction cups on the side of his trailer, one above the other vertically and ran the umbrella pole behind the handles of the suction cups. Said he's had it mounted during significant wind and never had it come loose.

Would provide shade for the window like an awning, rain protection and give a little protection for anyone outside while there in that area also.

Just thought I'd share in case it was interesting to someone here.

Back2PA said:
I have all three (interior, external black mesh and awnings). Wouldn't be without any of them,

Totally agree.  I have also considered a window type awning for the fridge area.  Didn't go with it and now it is not needed.

We contracted for all windows to have the black mesh covers, will be installed on Sunday morning, these guys pull up to your rig, measure, cut, sew and install.
We will see how this works and may add other equipment as time goes.  Probably not awnings, but definitely new shades.

Follow the link below:  I installed them last year on our new rig.  It's not a hard project but a large flat work surface helps.  Luckily our resort has a quilting club and they allowed us to use their table to lay out the screening.  I used the stick on 3M buttons directly on the window frames.  I think I went a little strong on the buttons at around 5 inches apart. 
As far as working to cut the heat down.  I think it did help.  Draw backs...little hard to see out of the window if you're close to it. They have to be removed to clean the windows. Also the AZ dust collects on them.
Cost me about a couple hundred DIY... Had a quote of over $1,500.00 to had it done.
Would I do it again?  BIG YES!

https://ezsnapdirect.com

One suggestion measure and remeasure and consider ordering a little more material.  I did find Home Depot carried the screen but it wasn't as heavy duty.

WildBill

The covers snap on the outside. 

I considered making, but have no sewing machine to attach the outer binding.  The only 2 windows I am not covering are under the patio awning, no real need.  Just over $1000.  The material they use is a black weave with silver strands, not really visble bust supposed to help in some way with reflection of UV.  According to the specs, it reduces UV by 95%.

We had awnings on our last coach, and while we liked them, they also cut your view.  In the rain they are nice because you can open the window, yet most rain we are in, the window being open is not that much of an option.

Yes, dust can gather on these, but there is a good cleaning option the folks explained.  In fact the dust was my disinclination for going this way. 

All the covers were made and installed this past weekend, we really like the and they look great.  I'll try to get some photos up.

Back
Top Bottom