Shipping a car to OH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I've procrastinated over shipping one of our older cars to our town home in Ohio. I was originally going to ship the Suburban, but eventually decided to ship Chris' old Lexus. Had a number of false starts, thanks to 90% (?) of the folks in the "auto transport" business being brokers, and not getting a straight answer from anyone (but they love to bug you via cell and text).

A couple of weeks ago I decided to drive 45 minutes to the nearest Flying J and talked with the driver of an auto transport rig; He kindly gave me several options, and I opted for a 'large' company in Chicago. In addition to their own fleet of trucks, they contract with other companies and drivers, and don't put up with any BS. An hour after placing an order/request with them, I received a call back with pickup and delivery dates, and the name of the transport company. They weren't cheap, but a better alternative to all those brokers.

We met the trucker at the rear of our local Safeway store at 7:00am today, and waved 'goodbye for now' to the little car. This trucker works for a transport company near Sacramento, CA; They have 25 of their own trucks, and he told me I made a good choice in booking through the Chicago company.

Attachments

• On board.jpg
    On board.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 75
  • All_alone.jpg
    All_alone.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 61
She forgot to take her phone, so they came from my phone  ;D

I know a lot of people who trans ship their autos via the train.  They seem to be happy with the result and the cost.  But an auto transport company is certainly reliable.

Ed

Prices are all over the map. The auto transport driver I talked with at Flying J a couple of weeks ago estimated $1,500, although he no longer has his own truck or drives across country. I was quoted prices ranging from $1,300 to $1,800 by brokers who couldn't secure a truck or driver. I paid $1,900 for today's move with firm dates via two reputable companies.

FWIW it's 2,500 miles +/- when we drive, depending on the route we choose.

For me, it was worth it for peace of mind. I had offers from younger family members to fly out to CA and 'race' the car to OH, but I preferred not to have it thrashed. I also didn't want these kids trying to drive unneccessarily long hours. We considered towing it on a rented dolly when we drive in a week or so, but that had other complications.

FWIW the auto transport driver told me he'll have 9 cars on board (we were his first customer of the day).

A few years ago I had a Jeep Wrangler that was recovered in Washington DC shipped back to Phoenix on a car transport.

As I recall it cost about $1,500.

It was so completely trashed that I gave it away.

Edit:  It was not trashed by the transporter, it was trashed when recovered.  After I reread the above I thought I should clear that up.

Rene, it's worth whatever someone will pay for it. I researched various options, such as selling here in CA and buying a used replacement in OH, and decided this one made the most sense for us. Finances aside, this is a vehicle we bought new, we know how it's been looked after and how it's been maintained. FWIW I called the OH BMV to be sure there are no issues registering the car there, and also talked with both my local (Farmers) insurance agent and one in OH.

HueyPilotVN said:
A few years ago I had a Jeep Wrangler that was recovered in Washington DC shipped back to Phoenix on a car transport.

As I recall it cost about $1,500.

It was so completely trashed that I gave it away.

Edit:  It was not trashed by the transporter, it was trashed when recovered.  After I reread the above I thought I should clear that up.

Are you sure you didn't have it off road Bill??  ;D ;D

PS is your jeep fixed?

No, That particular Jeep was trashed by the fellow that I recovered it from.

Now the damage from you telling me to drive on through that narrow canyon was what I call a four wheeling badge of honor like Arizona pinstripping.

The purpose of those nerf bars down the sides it to bend before the sides get trashed.  Kind of like off road curb feelers.

I am going to leave them alone to show that I do take it offroad.

I might even put a sticker on it saying, "Don't let Jackie talk you into showing off".

HueyPilotVN said:
No, That particular Jeep was trashed by the fellow that I recovered it from.

Now the damage from you telling me to drive on through that narrow canyon was what I call a four wheeling badge of honor like Arizona pinstripping.

The purpose of those nerf bars down the sides it to bend before the sides get trashed.  Kind of like off road curb feelers.

I am going to leave them alone to show that I do take it offroad.

I might even put a sticker on it saying, "Don't let Jackie talk you into showing off".

I do believe I was telling you to stop Mr Waugh....    ;D

Tom said:
Prices are all over the map. The auto transport driver I talked with at Flying J a couple of weeks ago estimated $1,500, although he no longer has his own truck or drives across country. I was quoted prices ranging from $1,300 to $1,800 by brokers who couldn't secure a truck or driver. I paid $1,900 for today's move with firm dates via two reputable companies.

FWIW it's 2,500 miles +/- when we drive, depending on the route we choose.
Tom,what was the name of the company.  I need to ship vehicle from AZ to FL
Thanks

The Chicago company I used (at the suggestion of a trucker) was:
United Road Transport.

They in turn contracted with:
Safe Auto Transport in Roseville, CA. Tel. (916) 899-5500.

FWIW the Safe Auto driver mentioned that they transport a lot of "snow birds' cars" (to/from Florida), in addition to dealer trade-ins and auction vehicles.

You're welcome John. Let us know if/how things work out. If you happen to talk with Sheri Remelgado, let her know Tom Jones gave you her name; She'll get a kick out of that.

The car arrived in OH today, safe and sound, and 2 days ahead of the promised day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe-
Back
Top Bottom