Happy-motorhome owners -- let's hear it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeanAndKaty

99.8% of you on here probably have more experience with motorhome ownership than we do. Since picking up our new Nexus Phantom last week (and of course in our research before buying), we're quite aware of all the things that can go wrong and people who've had to endure sometimes nightmare stories about RV ownership. But man, there has to be another side to all this, so if you're an owner who's overall been very happy with your ownership experience (which does not preclude minor problems, of course, because Stuff Does Happen), I'd love to hear about it. I know there have to be many on here who have had the positives FAR outweigh the negatives with their RV-ownership experience.... Thanks!

If having a breakdown would make the difference between rving, and not, I would say most people would still be rving. Having something break is just part of the lifestyle. You cant live in your house for long without having to repair plumbing, roofs, doors, etc. A motorhome is all that plus a machine that it rides on. I have traveled for many years in my own, and several friends rvs, and have traveled many 10s of thousands of miles back and forth across North America. We blew a tranny in my friends pusher,as well as his rad on a different rv, had part of my roof blow off in NFLD, blown alternators, relays, wipers, thermostats, etc on and on. We have older rvs, but even new ones can have problems. If you love the lifestyle, and the best way to travel going, the repairs are taken in stride, and dont discourage you. My pusher needs a new fuel pump and lift pump as we speak. Probably a couple grand in parts, plus the work to fix it. All part of the deal. It wont discourage me one bit. They are like a boat. Bust out another thousand. I get a kick when people say they want to rv on a budget. Good luck. You pay upfront, or you pay as you go. No such thing as a budget rv. That just the bait. I guess you could live in your car in the desert.

After the first few months we were happy with our Bounder, but soon wanted a diesel, for its extra benefits. Our Beaver was great in many ways, but there were some problems from time to time, and they weren't cheap. Our Ventana has been great from the start, with a minor couple of things that didn't impede use (a rollup shade and a control knob) being the only problems until the generator died within about 6 months (infant mortality, but under warranty). But it's been solid since with nothing but oil/filter/etc. needed.

As Tom indicates, long term members here tend to be rather happy with RVing, even if there are occasional hiccups. Short timers here vary a bit more.

We've done far fewer repairs on our various motorhomes over the years than we've ever done on any of the sticks&bricks homes we've owned. Are we happy with our fulltime RV life despite the mostly minor maintenance needed? You betcha!

Pretty happy with ours. We bought used, the original owners had it a year with no issues. We had a couple of issues, the furnace board got wet. Atwood, through Coachman, provided the parts to repair, and offered to pay for labor if I took it to a shop. I would rather fix things myself. We had problems with both DVD players, and Furrion replaced both. The only real question asked was if we had tried the reset button first

After 4 years of ownership of a coach that is now 16 years old I must admit that I cuss it a lot for expenses but I must also admit that everytime I step into the disgusting thing I fall in love with it all over and just smile smile smile.  Great way to buck up a depressing day - go get in the coach and look around.  We are going to sell it to save money - been saying that for 3 years.

Bill

Like Bill, we always wished our 2004 American Tradition was less expensive to own & operate, but were very much in love with it except when paying the bills.

NY_Dutch said:
We've done far fewer repairs on our various motorhomes over the years than we've ever done on any of the sticks&bricks homes we've owned. Are we happy with our fulltime RV life despite the mostly minor maintenance needed? You betcha!
NY_Dutch
Where any of those sticks&bricks as young as your now 17 year old coach?

mel s said:
NY_Dutch
Where any of those sticks&bricks as young as your now 17 year old coach?

All but one of them... Including the one I built from the ground up almost single handed. Parts of our Adirondack cottage are much older than our coach, but other parts are much younger, so I'm not sure how to categorize that one.

I've done some repairs and mods to our 2007 Bounder. I sort of like just tinkering with things in it, because it kind of gives me a better understanding of how some of the things in it work....or don't.  But just like Bill, every time I step up into it, I just sort of grin. Granted, we've only owned it for 4 years but we haven't had ANY problems with it. Every time I hit the key.....well, the big Cat just purrs. :D

We are into our third (maybe fourth) year with ours as vacationers!  Even facing a $5K tire expense, we are still loving it :)

I spent 8 years wondering around in an RV that was 15 years old when I started!

My preference was nature, so I spent glorious weeks in far flung camps soaking up this beautiful world.

Sure there were lots of repairs and upgrades but I kept reminding myself I loved that "paid-for" smell because I didn't finance a penny.

My trusty co-pilot was an over active dog who fancies himself a circus clown.

I loved every minute of my travels.

There may be a day when a miracle happens and I get to go back on the road.

For now I am settled into a 1992 5th wheel, making repairs, and living the dream.

:)

We started with a well used 32' Southwind some 16 or 17 years ago, we were green as an early summer apple.  We were never "full timers"  but got out as much as possible, summer trips back east to visit in laws, business related trips, and the annual trek to the Western slope of Colorado for the elk and mule deer hunt. We learned quickly to be prepared, have a plan and a backup plan, and be able to think on your feet when your plans all go up in smoke.  The biggest adventures seemed to raise their ugly heads on the hunting trips, Murphy's Law I guess, you're on a specific time table, in a remote area, with a chance, (read here, high probability)of inclement weather. First year out we pulled into camp at the front end of a heavy snow storm, discovered our batteries were not charging with the generator, bad news when you are boon-docking. Found we had a smoked DC converter, called an RV store in Grand Junction, bought a new converter over the phone with my credit card, and called my friend's son who was heading up that evening after work, he picked it up and brought it with him, I put it in, and crisis averted. It always seems to work out, stay positive and get creative as needed.
We are near retirement and looking forward to being out at least half of the year.  Enjoy your RV

When our converter/charger failed a few years ago, I connected the 20 amp battery charger I carry with us as a temporary "fix" until I got a permanent replacement a couple of days later.

Firedave said:
We learned quickly to be prepared, have a plan and a backup plan, and be able to think on your feet when your plans all go up in smoke. . . .It always seems to work out, stay positive and get creative as needed.

^^ This. :)  You do need to be willing to "tinker" because stuff will happen, and it's often easier/cheaper to fix yourself (plus you get more familiar with your rig every time you repair something). Just imagine the shape your house would be in, if you took it bouncing down the road a few times! We've had a number of unplanned complications with some system or another since we started RV'ing in 2007 (our first was a motorhome), and obviously those things never happen when your rig is parked at home. ;) Regardless there is something that draws you back to RV'ing, and I love Bill's comment about falling back in love every time you step inside.

I would have to say I am pretty happy with my coach and am looking forward to the next trip Thursday. This will be a short trip to go meet a group localey.
You are going to have things break, mostly minor things if you keep up your maintenance. Had a short trip this summer, 5500 miles to 26 states and 2 provinces in about 100 days.
Mile High, I bought Continentals through the FMCA program for $500.00 each out the door, they were $100.00 each cheaper than the Michalans.
Bill

We are very happy motorhome owners. Bought ours new without having any RV or camping experience. Spent the first year as "majority" timers and now have been full-time for 1.5 years. We have had a few issues along the way but nothing that we didn't expect or anticipate could happen. The places we've seen, experiences we've had and friendships we've made along the way have outweighed the downsides tremendously. It's a great way to live life and we have no intentions of changing any time soon.

WILDEBILL308 said:
I would have to say I am pretty happy with my coach and am looking forward to the next trip Thursday. This will be a short trip to go meet a group localey.
You are going to have things break, mostly minor things if you keep up your maintenance. Had a short trip this summer, 5500 miles to 26 states and 2 provinces in about 100 days.
Mile High, I bought Continentals through the FMCA program for $500.00 each out the door, they were $100.00 each cheaper than the Michalans.
Bill

"...a short trip this summer -- 5500 miles to 26 states and 2 provinces in about 100 days." A "short trip"... Okaaaaay! Ours will mostly be "momentary" compared to that!  ;D

Anyway, thanks all for the good info, and keep it coming. I guess thousands of motorhomes get sold every for some good reasons....

SeanAndKaty said:
"...a short trip this summer -- 5500 miles to 26 states and 2 provinces in about 100 days." A "short trip"... Okaaaaay! Ours will mostly be "momentary" compared to that!  ;D
That is a short trip. I was on the road for ten years. I only quit when my RV died. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom