Towing a 3500 lb TT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forjonny

We want to buy a Kia Sorento LX AWD V6 3.3 L rated at 5000 lb towing capacity. Can we tow a 3500 travel trailer safely with this vehicle?

Probably.  I looked, the payload on a 2019 is 1500 lbs.  Pretty good.  Assume that the trailer is 3500#, and you add 1000# to it; NO MORE.  So, as long as you keep the trailer tongue weight 4500 / 10%, so) roughly 400# tongue weight, leaves you with 1100# of people and gear in the Sorento.  Sounds doable to me.

Knowing how the numbers go, I still would pack light, it will help getting out of the hilly campground areas.

Whats the length on the trailer? I'm assuming relatively short since the weight is pretty light. Since the weights work if you pack light, my main concern with a lighter and shorter wheel base tow vehicle (that a standard pickup or SUV built on that frame size) would be sway control. Look at Anderson Hitches or one of the other superior sway control hitches would be my advice. Will help from having the tail wagging the dog when you get in windy conditions or passed by Semi's.

If that 3500 lbs is the trailer GVWR, great, and go have fun.  But if it's the unladen (dry) trailer weight, then you need to be concerned with how much stuff you load into the trailer, cause it is going to approach 4500-5000 lbs quickly (even though you probably don't believe that right now).  Further, the Sorrento's trailer towing capacity decreases as you add weight inside the SUV, so multiple passengers and their gear can take that 5000 lb tow rating down to 4500 or so. So can factory options on the Sorrento, anything above and beyond the base model specs.

You probably won't enjoy towing a trailer that weighs an actual 4500 or so lbs behind the Sorrento, even though that is acceptable from an engineering point of view.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom