Anyone have multiple Roadside Assistance plans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

We currently have roadside assistance through our RV insurance company (Hartford) and have also been looking at various other options such as the roadside assistance option from FMCA which we belong to. Also have done some research on other options such as Coachnet, Escapees RV Club, etc.

Given we plan on some pretty extensive travel this winter I'm wondering whether signing up for more than one assistance plan would make any sense? When I envision some kind of worse case scenario, the added expense would seem a mere pittance if it meant a more satisfactory resolution from one or the other provider. Could probably join all of the above for the price of one full tank of gas if prices keep going up!  :-\

Compare the benefits from each plan. There isn't much point in paying for unlimited towing from multiple plans for instance, when most contract with the same service providers anyway. The insurance company connected plans often have the most limited plans with fewer features, but also have the lowest cost. In other cases, there isn't much point in subscribing to both Good Sam and Allstate Motor Club since GS contracts with Allstate for their plan, and FMCA and Escapees both contract with SafeRide for their plans.

Yeah, we've got multiple roadside assistance memberships, but not intentionally. It just worked out like that. We joined FMCA for some other membership benefits and they've got a roadside assistance program, and our insurance company (Farmers) also has a roadside assistance program. If I could opt out of them and save some money I would, because we've been Coachnet members for 24 years, but that's not an option. Coachnet was the only company we joined specifically for their roadside assistance program.

Kev

I know that sometimes it is illegal to have more than one policy for the same kind of insurance.  That is in the UK though but thought it worth mentioning just in case.

Roadside assistance plans are not actually "insurance" in the same sense a liability policy is for instance. The only thing that could be illegal would be submitting the same claim to more than one company for reimbursement.

NY_Dutch said:
Isn't FMCA's roadside plan an extra cost option? An additional $70/year if I recall correctly?

That's right:
https://site.fmca.com/fmca-rv-roadside-assistance

Only recently joined FMCA but one thing I can say about them so far is that they have a VERY active email marketing system! At least not as bad as Good Sam which bombarded us with email and did not honor repeated UNSUBSCRIBE requests. Finally found their email preferences page and they had over FIFTY topics them emailed to your address by default.

Hmmm, maybe it's just as well I haven't joined FMCA. I do remember though, when GS had their mail preferences available in our account online and they actually honored our selections. We haven't seen much of anything from them in several years now. Hopefully FMCA honors your selections there as well.

While not the same as insurance, if there is a coordination of benefits clause, where more than one policy applies, it could be detrimental to your claim.  Example.  You have FMCA with unlimited towing and a separate AAA coverage with a 100 mile limit.  You need to be towed 200 miles.  Under a coordination of benefits provision, FMCA would pay for half of the towing bill since they have unlimited towing.  However AAA would only pay for half of the cost of towing the first 100 miles, their maximum.  You would be on the hook for the balance.  If you have multiple coverages and don't let the company know, you could have other issues. 

Back
Top Bottom