Another ukulele - it's an addiction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Went to a passed fellow uke player's home today to purchase his unique home-made hard-sided case for my concert Fluke. Before I left to come home, I mentioned to his widow that, if she was 'stuck' with his Fluke, to let me know and I'd buy it from her. I left with a Fluke, a hard case, and a gig bag (standard for the Fluke).

I've had my Fluke (red top in the pic) for 8-9 years, and it's virtually indestructible. One thing I immediately noticed was that my latest (older) acquisition is much quieter than my Fluke. A replacement set of Aquila strings is on order, and will likely return the volume on the uke.

Attachments

• Hard_case_ext.jpg
    Hard_case_ext.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Hard_case_int.jpg
    Hard_case_int.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Two_Flukes.jpg
    Two_Flukes.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 22
The Fluke's polypropelyne body makes it virtually indestructible, but its wood top gives it qute a nice/meĺlow tone, unlike any of the alĺ-plastic ukes that sell for a fraction of its price. It's been my go-to uke after the 8-string. The new acquisition will be added to the collection of ukes at our OH home, and will be a great uke for grandkids to learn on. In addition to new strings, I'm thinking I'll refinish the top.

Since this instrument was owned by a founder of the Delta Strummers, it will have some historical significance. His widow was especially pleased for me to have it, as she knows it will be played in his memory.

I've been playing the 'new' (older) uke on some favoriite tunes. Other than the lower volume I mentioned, it's a good instrument. Both Flukes stay in tune long term. One thing I noticed is that the older model has a slightly longer (and wider) fretboard, with 2 additional frets, although they're both considered 'concert' size. There's no physical difference playing them. Can't wait to get the new strings on.

Could be, although respective dimensions don't agree with their web site (might be due to the age of this model). I must admit I din't previously know they made it in two sizes.

Purchased a set each of Aquila 'nylgut' tenor and concert strings (my go to brand for ukulele strings); Either would fit, but decided to install the tenor set. A week of daily playing will complete the stretching process. Some folks accelerate the process by manually stretching the strings, but not me.They didn't improve the volume as much as I expected (my concert Fluke is still louder).

[quote author=Tom]They didn't improve the volume as much as I expected...[/quote]
Interesting (weird?) ...

Individual plucked strings were 'normal' volume, but a strummed chord had a much reduced volume. As the strings have settled down (with continual playing/stretching/re-tuning), the volume of strummed chords is increasing, and approaching how I'd expect it to sound. I've never previously observed this behavior with any ukes I've re-strung  ???

Back
Top Bottom