Going south from Lompoc Ca. to Desert Hot Springs Ca.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Papadude

Hi,
We are leaving Monday morning from Vandenberg AFB to Desert Hot Springs.  Google maps shows 101, 210, 10.  I'm not sure about going through LA.  Can you guys that travel this area give me advise on the best route?
thanks,
Guy

I'm not sure you're going to do much better in that area because there are so many mountains.  I see you'll be hauling a good sized trailer so you'll be better off on freeways than some of the smaller roads.  There just aren't that many alternatives.  You'll be farther into LA if you take a more southerly route so 210 probably will be easier.  Don't be surprised if there's some construction too.  If you can avoid rush hour that would be nice.

ArdraF

It's about 30 miles longer, but you can bypass most of Los Angeles by taking CA 126 north (east?) at Ventura towards Santa Clarita, I-5 south to CA 14, then CA 138 to Cajon Pass and I-15 / I-215 back to I-10. 

I used this bypass when I was working in L.A. and had to drive from the San Fernando Valley to Indio instead of taking I-10 or I-210 through Los Angeles. Mostly light to moderate traffic and no mountains except for a short climb towards I-15 on 138, and it's 4 lanes now.

Use the Truck Lanes to get from I-5 to CA 14.  The turnoff from CA 14 to CA 138 is called Angeles Forest Highway / Pearblossom Highway. Follow Pearblossom Highway north until you reach 138.  The split from I-15 to I-215 south of Cajon Pass is opposite of what you'd expect from looking at a map, Caltrans re-did it a couple of years ago so I-215 splits off from the RIGHT.

These are mostly 4 lane highways and you'll miss the central L.A. hassles.  Leave Lompoc around 9:00 - 9:30 AM and you'll miss the morning commute traffic through Santa Barbara and crest Cajon Pass early enough to miss the afternoon commute through San Bernardino.

Put in the waypoints shown in this map to get Google to map it for you.

Attachments

• Lompoc to Desert Hot Springs.jpg
    Lompoc to Desert Hot Springs.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 6
Lou's knowledge about it is a lot more up-to-date than mine so I'd probably take his route.

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom