Magic Chef oven pilot/temp regulator not regulating gas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharvey

Have had the RV for over 2 years, we live in it full time and use the stove oven everyday...never been a problem?! Had to get propane filled last week, used oven twice, now all of a sudden pilot wont pull gas? I can turn the handle to really hot, like 400 or broil and gas comes out and I can light, but it doesn't stay lit. Nor will it do that at lower temps?
When I unscrewed the 2 gas lines and the copper piece from the regulator, when I apply proessure and push the copper piece in, then gas flows thru the regulator. But when I screw it back in it stops?
Any ideas out there?

appreciated!
Stevonne

Hi Stevonne, welcome to The RV Forum!

You need a new pilot thermocouple.  It sits in the pilot flame, and when it's heated by the flame a metal inside it expands and puts pressure via the copper tube against the gas valve to keep gas flowing to the pilot.  That you can do the same by pressing on the coupling where the thermocouple connects to the gas valve says the valve is OK.

When you turn up the temperature, the thermocouple switches from controlling the pilot gas to controlling the main flame gas, so the main flame won't stay lit without it.

You should be able to get a replacement at most RV service places.

On second thought, I did a little more research and found the thermocouple is electric, not expanding.  The heat generates electricity that in turn pulls in a little electromagnet that opens the gas valve.

Take a look at this Youtube video and see if it applies to your stove:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fBj0rfTtWc

Sometimes the propane regulator gets fouled with was it water or oil - I forgot. Since it worked before you had it filled that's a strong indicator to me the problem is back at the tank.

Back
Top Bottom