Basement AC noisy - solution?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

Basically sounds like something is a little loose.  Have not seen one of these open, going to look for ypou tube.  Anyone do this before?

PancakeBill said:
Basically sounds like something is a little loose.  Have not seen one of these open, going to look for ypou tube.  Anyone do this before?

A while back, Jim posted this message when someone asked the same question.  I think Eric is a Coleman tech.

"(316) 832-4357 don't pay any attention to the "only for qualified technicians"
Eric is a nice guy...."

Bill

I found  a thread somewhere with a great set of pics and step by step instructions.  Yowza.  Pretty thorough instructions and great images, but wow.  Looks like it would be at least 6 hours in the shop plus parts.  Doing it on an RV site probably would be frowned on.

PancakeBill said:
Not much of a description, but that something is loose sound in my experience has normally been a blower bearing or motor going bad.  Mine is not a big deal to get out. None should have to have the wiring disconnected to get it out. It normally can be slid out or dropped onto a cart or little table, leaving the wiring connected to the motorhome so it can be easily bench tested with the top cover removed.

PancakeBill said:
I found  a thread somewhere with a great set of pics and step by step instructions.  Yowza.  Pretty thorough instructions and great images, but wow.  Looks like it would be at least 6 hours in the shop plus parts.  Doing it on an RV site probably would be frowned on.
That was probably the document put together by Bill (Duner), I'm not sure if he has that post here or on iRV2. I printed that doc and acquiring parts - I need to pull my unit.

It might have been Bill that pulled their basement AC at an RV park - forgot what they used to pull the box onto.

Ive had mine out more times that I would like to, replace fan motor, bad capacitor, rat in fan cage, rewire control to eliminate circuit board. I even too it out and reversed the airflow thru the condenser then again to switch it back to original. The first time was to replace the seals on the inlet and outlet, they are not the best ant there are much better ways of sealing them.

Mine has two screws, one on each front corner. They let the unit drop down enough to clear the door flange and it breaks the seals loose so it will slide out. Luckily mine has a storage drawer underneath that pulls out and the unit will rest on it. I dont trust it so completly so I brace it up with old milk crates and boards.

They come apart easily, just pay attention and take pictures ahead of time. As always its best ot kill the power to it ahead of time.

Good luck Bill

How much do you figure it weighs? 

It sounds like more of a rattle, something needs tightening.  The doc I looked at was a PDF, picture and text per page.  Saw another video where the guy replaced controller boards and relays. 

OK, makes it sound a little less of an issue, might give it a shot.  The noise is not that bad.

Here is another question regarding the basement AC, John, I remember you added a roof unit, others have mentioned some fixes, but repairs can be needed on any type of AC.  All in all, how would you rate the basement vs  roof air?  I remember the sales points winnebago gave us when I was in sales, and I have worked on a roof AC, I installed a roof AC,  have lived with 2 roof AC's and know the noise they create.  The basement, other than the loose noise outside has been quiet and kept us cool so far into high 80's.  So far I like it. 

Looks like Winnebago has gone away from this though.  Reliablity, or reclaim storage, I do miss that bay for basement storage.

Bill, I had mine out recently for the same reason - used Duners instructions, and everything went as he described. I was able to remove it myself, slid it out to sit on two 5-gallon buckets with a couple of 2X6's sitting on top. The noise on mine was caused by a bad motor bearing. It could also be caused by a cracked squirrel cage.

I used a helper to lift it up to reinstall, other than that, this old guy (81) handled it.  (Along with wife's supervision)  ;)  ;)

A few (4?) years ago i had my indoor blower replaced. When I picked it up, the tech told me that he didn't pull the whole unit out, he was able to do it from under or behind the unit.

ChasA said:
A few (4?) years ago i had my indoor blower replaced. When I picked it up, the tech told me that he didn't pull the whole unit out, he was able to do it from under or behind the unit.
  MAYBE possible to replace the OUTSIDE blower on my unit by damaging/destroying the exhaust screen on the bottom, but it would be a lot easier & quicker to just pull the unit and take the top off. NO WAY on mine to get to the inside fan w/o pulling the unit. I bought a hydraulic table/cart for about $75, and can pull my unit in about 15 min.  I totally replaced it on my own a couple of years ago.

PancakeBill said:
Here is another question regarding the basement AC, John, I remember you added a roof unit, others have mentioned some fixes, but repairs can be needed on any type of AC.  All in all, how would you rate the basement vs  roof air?  I remember the sales points winnebago gave us when I was in sales, and I have worked on a roof AC, I installed a roof AC,  have lived with 2 roof AC's and know the noise they create.  The basement, other than the loose noise outside has been quiet and kept us cool so far into high 80's.  So far I like it. 

Looks like Winnebago has gone away from this though.  Reliablity, or reclaim storage, I do miss that bay for basement storage.
Operationally I actually prefer the basement air but the primary issue with it is there's not enough BTU tonnage for a 35-40+ foot multi slide class A. It's rated at two tons (24,000 BTU) and my Horizon needs at least three tons in hot weather.

I only need to run the roof air for a couple of hours or so mid afternoon and if it's hot enough while on the road, I run the roof air instead of the basement unit to keep road dust from getting sucked into the unit. The roof air is noisy.

One more point about basement air - we like it at night as a "white noise" source. It does a good job of drowning out campground/traffic noise.

Paul - I need to fly you out here to help me pull my unit!

John Canfield said:
Paul - I need to fly you out here to help me pull my unit!
  Drop by my place in East Texas ... we can put your rig on the slab & the hydraulic table/cart is standing by. :)

And I just found a local place last week that knows how to work on the unit!!

Per Duner/Bills website, the noise is likely a cracked fan and/or worn-out bushings in the pillow-blocks that hold the fan to motor shaft. His photo album and pdf detailing working on the Coleman-Mach basement unit may be found here. http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f259/basement-a-c-removal-and-outdoor-blower-replacement-procedure-42567.html

Thanks for the link Ray. I bought two new sealed bearing pillow blocks per his recommendation and I have a new squirrel cage blower assembly. Just need to find the time to pull the unit.

I don't have noise yet (other than the norm) from my basement unit, just bad capacitors - Finished the install of a roof top unit a couple weeks ago. From what I have read - I should be able to replace the capacitors without having to drop the unit.
Don't mean to hijack a thread -

Michael

mickey53usa said:
I don't have noise yet (other than the norm) from my basement unit, just bad capacitors - Finished the install of a roof top unit a couple weeks ago. From what I have read - I should be able to replace the capacitors without having to drop the unit.
Don't mean to hijack a thread -

Michael

"IF" yours is like mine the compressor capacitors can be replaced from the panel in the front of the unit, however the caps for the fan motors are fastened to the motor. I rewired those to the front of the unit so I would not have to drop the entire AC unit again. Now I can test and replace from the front.

Bill N said:
A while back, Jim posted this message when someone asked the same question.  I think Eric is a Coleman tech.

"(316) 832-4357 don't pay any attention to the "only for qualified technicians"
Eric is a nice guy...."

Bill
Hello PancakeBill,
Just read this thread and was wondering if you got it fixed and what you found.  Let us know how it went.

Hitting bigger fish first, heading to cold weather for 3 weeks next weekend, got the noisy motor in the furnace replaced.  When I get back to Tucson in Jan I'll give it a shot.  It isn't horrible, the screaming bearings in the furnace was.

Thanks for checking!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom