Pet barrier for car

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
We've tried numerous ready-made and self-made options for corralling the dogs while in transit in our car, but there were issues with all of them. I recently purchased and installed a different one, in preparation for an upcoming road (car) trip. Here's the link. What have others tried, and what was your experience? TIA.

The first thing I did with every dog I ever owned was to take it through obedience classes.  My dogs always rode in the back seat because I told them to go there and lay down.

Chris has tried taking me to obedience training many times over the years, but I always seem to forget what I learned :-[

Tom said:
Chris has tried taking me to obedience training many times over the years, but I always seem to forget what I learned :-[

So what you're saying then is the barrier is to keep you in the front seat  ;)

That pet barrier looks like an affordable solution.

For my little dog, I locked his leash to the seatbelt to keep him in his seat and told him STAY when I would lock him in. He could move around in his bedding, but the leash prevented him from pestering me while I drove. I had a rule with him, NO touching the driver while moving down the road.

Dollar tree sells 4 foot,  $1 leashes that can be customized for this use.

Also it was a bonus if I had to get out to pump gas, he couldn't just leap out of the vehicle and take off. Once I got the gas flowing, I would then take him out for a walk around the station to let him do his pee-mail. :)

I have used this method to tie him to a chair too. We were on my RV patio and he was pestering my company, so I used a big D ring attached to his leash to attach him to a chair and told him to sit and stay. He realized he was attached to the chair and sat there during the visit without pestering everybody. :)

I've also used this method at outdoor restaurants. Used a D-ring type spring clip to attach his leash to my chair so he could sit under the table while we ate and couldn't run off at will. I could eat without holding the leash.

[quote author=Back2PA]... the barrier is to keep you in the front seat[/quote]

Only if I'm on good behavior, otherwise I'm in the back with the dogs  :(

I have the barrier secured in place with wire ties, and last evening I took the car for a spin to confirm there are no rattles, and that rearview visibility is not impeded; All good.

Not yet. Based on experiences with prior designs, and some adjustment of loading practice, I don't anticipate an issue. OTOH I might make a test run this week. i jokingly told Chris that, if this doesn't work, I'll pack them in a box and ship them UPS  ???

Test drive this morning was 100% successful. Doggies settled down very quickly, they had good visibility to/through the windshield and side windows, and realized they weren't going anywhere. I made a small modification before leaving; The unit comes with two optional sets of side panels (one set is visible in the linked photo). Only one set or the other is needed to accommodate the width of the car/SUV, and I used the other set to block off the lower corners.

Back
Top Bottom