Problem with a door that keeps opeing except when it is latched

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prior member

We have a one year old trailer and one of the doors won't stay closed unless it is latched and constantly swings open.
I know the way to fix a residential door that does that, by slightly bending the pin in the middle hinge, but these trailer door hinges appear to have a permanent hinge pin that I can't get out (unless I am missing the way to remove it).
Also, the frame is very narrow and plastic, so moving a hinge is out of the question

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the pin put or any other way to fix the problem?

Jack L

Either the RV is not level, or the wall is not level.
If it's the RV, level it  ;)
If it's the wall, and yes the pin trick works in a house  :), but here, maybe you can loosen the bottom hinge screws and slide a washer (spacer) in between the hinge and wood, correcting for the wall issue.  Another option, they do make spring loaded hinges.

SpencerPJ said:
If it's the wall, and yes the pin trick works in a house  :), but here, maybe you can loosen the bottom hinge screws and slide a washer (spacer) in between the hinge and wood, correcting for the wall issue.  Another option, they do make spring loaded hinges.
:)) :)) :))

grashley said:
That wont work. The door wouldn't close against the jamb then. There is not enough space, and all the frame is plastic, so I can't take any thing off the sides or counter sink the hinge.
Does any one know if there is a way to get that pin out of the hinge ?

jack L

Can you upload a picture of the door and situation?  A picture is worth a thousand words  :))

From what I gather, it has a plastic frame, so I assume its an inside door as most exterior doors are metal to prevent theft.

What I don't understand is what you are trying to do. Do you want it to rest against the jamb without being fully closed? When you say latched, I am thinking of a door knob. Are you referring to an additional latch? Most door are usually kept latched or wide open.

We definitely need a picture.

That is exactly what I thought of yesterday !
Now I'll have to get to Lowes to see what they have

Jack L

Well, you have an advantage over MY side door.  It pops open occasionally even when it IS latched and even locked!  It was that way when it was brand new, and over the past six years, I got tired of trying to get someone to adjust it again.  So, when I am driving, I tie it shut with velcro strapping.  Yes, I know that is a ridiculous solution, but it has been adjusted several times and still pops open.  The good news is that it does stay latched when locked in a parking lot or camping site. 

SpencerPJ said:
Good advice...

JackL said:
We have a one year old trailer and one of the doors won't stay closed unless it is latched.
Jack L
Jack
Isn't that the way doors are supposed to work?

Where are the pictures?  :eek:

I had a medicine cabinet that would pop open under way and spill contents. Thankfully I habitually closed the toilet seat after every use which prevented my stuff from landing in the toilet.

I put a secondary latch on it and that solved the problem.

About your door...
The hinge unscrews from the wall, so it is possible to do that and stick a shim in it to fix it. Could be a Popsicle stick shaved down or flat toothpicks or washers.

mel s said:
Jack
Isn't that the way doors are supposed to work?
That was my thought, but the exact scenario is difficult to comprehend with the given information.

I have a door under the fridge that is short and wide.  Over time, the hinge has allowed the door to hang low.  When latched, all is fine, but latching requires lifting up on the door while closing and carefully engaging the clip style latch.  A quick push or kick will NOT latch, and the door swings open to about 80?.

In my case, this cabinet is rarely used, so no problem.  For the OP, this is not the case.

Since the OP has posted other stuff on the Forum since his last post on this thread Nov 6, I'm guessing he does not wish to clarify or elaborate  :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom