Using slides during Minnesota winters.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MN Blue Skies

Site Team
I am asking on behalf of a friend who purchased a used 5th wheel earlier this year.  The 5th wheel is located on a lot in Minnesota.  She wants to know if it is okay to use the slides in the winter.  Thanks.

The answer is yes but!  It is yes they can be used.  The but is that the snow/ice needs to be removed when it becomes excessive and it helps to have covers over the slides.  We lived in MT and had snow several times with the slide out.  Up on a ladder to clean off the slide/cover so that when the snow melted and it does on even very cold days due to the lack of insulation, about a R 4 to 6 at best, so if there is heat inside it will melt.  It also makes the RV harder to heat as there is now more space requiring heat.  In extreme cold we brought the slide in. 

We left headed south one year in -39/40 F degrees and while nothing froze we were not very warm.  I believe about 60 F inside was the best we could do with the generator running for AC for the heaters, the dash heat and the furnace all running.  We managed to get full electrical hookups at night so we survived but from Bozeman MT to just north of Salt Lake it was COLD!  The slide was in till southern UT.

A Minnesota winter in an RV will be tough.

I lived in MN till I was 10 and I still remember those winters and that was 75 years ago.

Jim is on point!  I would hate to LIVE in it that far north, but it is certainly safe to have a slide out as long as snow accumulations are removed as needed.  Depending on their needs, maybe pull the slide in when heavy snow is expected.

I don't think your answers will change but she doesn't stay in the 5th wheel full time.  She wants to stay in the 5th wheel occasionally during the winter.

Maybe put the slides in when she leaves.  I would be more concerned of pipes freezing, unless she plans to winterize each time she leaves.

Ditto Spencer. 
She may want to winterize, then use gallon jugs of water to drink, wash hands and dishes and flush the toilet.  Add some pink antifreeze to each tank and even a solid freeze should not harm the big tanks.  All the stuff in the water lowers the freezing point of water and the debris prevents big solid chunks.  Even dirt from your hands create flaws in the ice crystal structure, making for  weak ice.  When everything thaws, dump the tanks.

We were camping in northern Michigan in mid October the day started out with rain went to snow than hail just  typical Mich. weather.  In the morning when i got up it was 27 deg furnace set to 65 and electric heater in bedroom. When i retracted the slides front one had ice on top back was ok i do have slide toppers it was exciting when the ice came down always look up when not using keep slides in if the ice gets under it slide toppers it will jam the slide it won't be fun

If she will not be living in it, then I would suggest slides in so she doesn't have to worry about ice on the top of them.  Also, she needs to winterize so pipes don't break and it would be good if she has power and can leave the furnace on.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom