Diesel Service Intervals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flduck

Good morning,

We recently bought a used 2011 American Revolution with a 450hp Cummins.  Had 31,000 miles when we bought and it and now that I've put about 3500 miles on it I thought I'd ask what the sweet spot is for service intervals.  I've been doing the oil change in the generator every 150-175 hours but curious about oil changes and fuel filter changes on the engine?

Thanks,
Brendan

Not exactly the same thing, but my Ford F350 Dually with the 6.7 diesel has an "oil change light" that usually comes on between 7000-7500 miles.  I run a semi-synthetic oil and change the filter with every oil change.  The two fuel filters are changed at the 22,500 mile interval, as I never burn Bio-Diesel in the truck.

Get kits from Blackstone labs or other reputable testing lab and have it analyzed.

If I remember correctly, Cummins recommends 20,000 miles or 1 year for the recent years of the ISL engine. For most RVers, once a year works out fine.  If you want to go for extended intervals, use synthetic oil and change based on an oil analysis, e.g. from Blackstone Labs or JG Lubricant Services. You should still change the filter at least annually, though.  Note that Cummins does not recommend extended intervals, even with oil analysis to back it up.

I found the Cummins document online for 2010 and later engines:
https://www.cumminspowerclub.com/resources/ISLMaintSchedulesRV.pdf

Back
Top Bottom