Winter camping in North Carolina - any tips on where?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delaware RV

Hi,

My wife and I go on a long weekend get-a-way on the last weekend of January. Now that we own a TT, we are thinking about using it.  With a 7 hour drive (or so) from our home, we can easily get into North Carolina.  Does anyone have any tips or recommendations for campgrounds to stay at?  Thinking the Western half of the state, not the beach.

Thanks!

Our sticks and bricks home is in the western part of NC at elevation 3300 feet.
Do you like snow or pulling a trailer in it?
That is why right now we are in Key Largo where we will be until mid April

Jack L

Grandfather Campground between Boone and Banner Elk is open all year. We just spent a few days there, nothing special, but the location is great for the mountains and ski area. Byrd?s Branch in Elkin is a small, family campground that is located in the middle of the Yadkin Valley wine area. We?re there now for our second stay in a year. Full hookups and reasonably priced. I believe Mayberry cg outside Mt Airy is open all year, but it?s pretty much just a parking lot with hookups. We stayed there a couple of years ago and the site didn?t even have a fire ring or a picnic table.

you may want to look into Jordan lake state park in apex nc.The crosswinds area is open in the winter. apex is near Raleigh NC.20.00 per night for seniors.

I hang out in upstate SOUTH Carolina in the winter.. 3 parks depending on month
1: South Cove County Park (Seneca SC look it up on Reserve America) Very very nice park 15/night water/electric (20/30/50) and wi-fi at the office or comfort station.

2: Twin Lakes COE (I forget if the town is Pendelton or Perkins) Not sure the current price but I get half off with my Geezers card. same water and 20/30/50 but no Wi-Fi.. T-mobile works well in both parks

ANd Thousand Trails Carolina Landing (35/night) water/electric (20/30 most sites 50 on some higher priced ones) and sewer on most sites. limite wi-fi at "Internet room" (DSL) T-Mobile works well in park.

Now it did drop below freezing last night for a bit. but since I'm not hooked up (I tank up and suggest you do too) no problem.. Biggest problem here in Carolina Landing is hills and water pressure (120 PSI) so regulators needed if you hook up. If you tank up not a problem (reason #2 why I tank up).

Lake Powhatan Recreation Area Campground in the Pisgah National Forest near Asheville has sites open all year including some full hookup sites. Right now they're experiencing record snowfall that's causing access problems, but what conditions will be like near the end of January is just guesswork.

Back
Top Bottom