LP vs Diesel Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChuckB

I've been looking to purchase a small, probably Class C, either based on a Sprinter (i.e., a Vue) or Ford Transit (Fuse) chassis.  I'd prefer to get a diesel generator, but not finding many.  What are the advantages of either other than the diesel will run longer (I'm told) although I don't know how much longer...  I plan to buy used.

Thanks
Chuck B 

You probably won't find a diesel generator in a Class C, especially on those smaller chassis.  Diesels tend to be larger and heavier than equivalent gas or propane engines, and both space and weight are at a premium.

Diesel fuel contains about 30% more BTUs per gallon than propane, so everything else being equal, a diesel generator will use about 30% less fuel by volume than a propane generator.

Of greater concern is the size of your propane tank vs. the diesel tank, and where you will get the propane tank refilled when it's empty.  Keep in mind your stove, refrigerator, water heater and furnace will stop working if you drain the propane tank.

On the plus side, propane is virtually odorless when it's burned in an engine  You can't say the same for diesel.

The problem with propane is the relatively limited fuel supply, and difficulty finding places to get the tanks refilled, these rv propane generators typically consume about 1/2 gallon of propane per hour under typical load conditions.  Many of these sprinter based class B's have a 15 gallon propane tank, which can legally only be field to 80% capacity, meaning about 12 gallons of propane available to run the generator, as well as fuel the water heater, stove, and furnace.  So maybe enough propane to fuel the generator and handle the rest for 3-4 hours per day over a long weekend, but not much more.

Lou Schneider said:
You probably won't find a diesel generator in a Class C, especially on those smaller chassis.  Diesels tend to be larger and heavier than equivalent gas or propane engines, and both space and weight are at a premium.

Diesel fuel contains about 30% more BTUs per gallon than propane, so everything else being equal, a diesel generator will use about 30% less fuel by volume than a propane generator.

Of greater concern is the size of your propane tank vs. the diesel tank, and where you will get the propane tank refilled when it's empty.  Keep in mind your stove, refrigerator, water heater and furnace will stop working if you drain the propane tank.

On the plus side, propane is virtually odorless when it's burned in an engine  You can't say the same for diesel.

I have a diesel gen in my Winnebago class C - little to no smell and I can keep the propane for the stove, heater etc.

Lou Schneider said:

I have found some Diesel Generators in the Sprinter Chassis, mostly Winnebago Views.  However, the majority are LP Generators, especially near me (Kansas City) so I'm guessing if this is the route I ultimately, take, I'll probably have to settle for an LP Generator.  I've been looking at the Winnebago Fuse too, but so far haven't seen any with anything other than a LP Generator.  I'm told (unofficially at least) they are an option, but have yet to see one on the market.

ChuckB said:
I have found some Diesel Generators in the Sprinter Chassis, mostly Winnebago Views.  However, the majority are LP Generators, especially near me (Kansas City) so I'm guessing if this is the route I ultimately, take, I'll probably have to settle for an LP Generator.  I've been looking at the Winnebago Fuse too, but so far haven't seen any with anything other than a LP Generator.  I'm told (unofficially at least) they are an option, but have yet to see one on the market.

Don't settle, get the one you want. The reason you're not seeing many diesel generators is that it's a $2-3K upgrade and many buyers aren't aware of the disadvantages of an LP genset (as detailed above). Wait for the one you want, and you'll get the extra money for a diesel genset back on resale.

By virtue of the experience of working with various units of this class, I would say that diesel engines are still more reliable in operation, although they consume a lot. Of course, there are excellent options, but this is a completely different price segment.

How much time do you plan on running a genset, if its just to top off batteries and running a coffee pot and some small appliances cooking, then a propane may work for you. It does for us in our T/C that carries 14 gal propane, sometimes the air conditioner but not too many times that has happened. We have never ran out of gas, that includes BBQ'n lunch and dinner, it is hooked to the campers supply also. If you need it for hours a day every day on most trips, then a Diesel will out live the gas genset. Cost of Diesel fuel here in Ca. is over 4.00 a gal most places, propane is under 3.00, so cost per btu is a wash. The more remote campsites and farther out small towns, the more I see propane vs Diesel. Seems like there is always a propane tank set up for filling in most small towns near campgrounds,,,gregg

Back2PA said:
Don't settle, get the one you want. The reason you're not seeing many diesel generators is that it's a $2-3K upgrade and many buyers aren't aware of the disadvantages of an LP genset (as detailed above). Wait for the one you want, and you'll get the extra money for a diesel genset back on resale.

When we were looking at Spinter models like the Winnebago View, the diesel genny upgrade was actually about double that!  I suspect that's a good part of the reason you don't see many in the used market.

We run our generator nearly full time when shore power is not available, usually to run the AC. I've seen four days straight when parked. We do stay in warmer climates by preference. We top off the propane tank once a year (cooking only, and not much of that). Our propane tank is larger, but still wouldn't last.

Ernie

Back
Top Bottom