Motorhome radiator flush

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toomas83

I have a 2009 Winnebago Journey with a Cummins 6.7l isb and have been flushing the radiator as this message board.  After about 6-7 flushings the water still looks like it still has a lot of coolant in it.  Most posts have mentioned 3 or 4 flushings and the water will be fairly clear.  I drain, fill with water, run till hot, then drain.  Any tips or advise.

Even draining the radiator and refilling several times should remove most of the antifreeze, but why are you worrying about it?  The main goal is to put in fresh antifreeze (and SCA coolant additives if not an OAT-type coolant) at the desired level.

You might find this post interesting as it relates to changing your coolant.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,115988.msg1049964.html#msg1049964

Although not a motorhome owner, I am not a fan of flushing' the coolant system.  A drain and fill is my way to go.  Flushing can loosen debris inside and cause issues you didn't have before, especially true if you are putting hard water into your system.  Besides, with all that water in the system now, I hope you don't add a 50/50 blend of antifreeze, because it will be diluted with all the water in heater core and block, and not be strong enough for freeze protection.

I know the OP said he ran till hot, but wondering if it really got hot enough to open the thermostat so coolant circulates. Or maybe his thermostat isn't working?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom