To winterize or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stamper5498

My question of the day is, we are going to experience some some temps below 32 in the upcoming days and we have a trip planned shortly afterwards. Should I winterize now or what precautions should I take to get through this cold spell before our trip?

It really depends on what kind of RV (does it have heated storage bays) and where it will be stored (in a garage, or sitting outside).  Different RV's have different requirements depending on the equipment it has.  Add the year make and model of your RV in your signature and we can be more helpful with your inquiries. 

If you are questioning it, better to do it than not. You dont say what you have, where you are, or how long before you leave. Kinda hard to give an answer.

darsben said:
If you have a compressor blow out the lines.
SPend 5 bucks and pour some RV antifreeze in the traps.
YOU WILL SLEEP BETTER
That's over simplified: Don't forget, if so equipped, draining the water heater and low spots, as well as emptying your tanks.

But one other thing to note if you do this: Blowing out with air, while it does fine for the cold water lines, doesn't adequately protect the hot water side of units with hydronic heating systems (Aqua Hot, Oasis), since air alone can't get all the water out of the little nooks and crannies, and you don't want to have a multi-thousand dollar repair (the manuals warn you, too). So you need the pink stuff through the hot water portion of the system if you have one of these.

We'll be watching this thread (and others similar) too -- we have a spanking-new motorhome that's so far stored "naked," and the freezing temps are right around the corner here in western Washington. We plan on using it every 3 weeks or so for short weekend trips, as long as we can, and we're not sure how much to "winterize" it between trips... My first inclination is to get a good wrap/cover for it to help seal it up. We have a small heater inside, and the under-storage is vented to the interior to help warm it a bit (although heat rises, right?)....

Might as well buy some lottery tickets.  Fact is, 32 degrees, water freezes.  If water freezes in pipes, it will expand and crack them. It's not rocket science.  ??? 

Sorry I haven?t been back on. It?s a 2016 jayco precept 31ul
I did manage to get a signature done tho. Thank y?all for the replies. As stated we are new to this.
We are in north central MS

And it does have a tank heater but I don?t know what all it?s supposed to protect

I would winterize. The cost to repair and long term damage is not worth the risk. The Wife and I are in the same position. We are taking the TT to Arkansas from southeast Alabama for 2 weeks. And we will run into low 30's while in Arkansas. So I will have the TT  winterized before we leave. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeffandjoan
Back
Top Bottom