Leveling jacks when storing at home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J32952

We are new to this.  Our driveway not level, so I used jacks to level to put out slides so we could clean new Type A RV.  After cleaning and putting slides back in, should we leave on jacks (one tire off ground) or should it rest on wheels?  Assume will be sitting a few weeks till we use again
  Thank you in advance for responses

If the fridge is not on, then you can raise the jacks to get all the tires on the ground. If the fridge is on, then  raise the jacks and drive the low wheel up on a few boards until it will still be supported when the jacks are lowered to level the rig.

For a few weeks I would not worry about leaving it up much, if you have an absorption refrigerator and it is turned on, it is very important that it is kept level

That is correct, and then if and only if, the fridge is running. If it is not, then leveling is not required .

The board level method is preferable to having a wheel off the ground. Be sure that any wheel off the ground is NOT a rear wheel otherwise you risk the vehicle rolling away as the parking brakes are only on the rear wheels as is the case for any vehicle, including a car.

I would also consider some Wheel Chocks. It never hurts to have them.

If you leave it on the jacks, a good precaution that isn't talked about much is to take a soft rag (I spray with WD40) and wipe down the jacks before you use them again.  This might be overly careful and not needed.  Florida has sandy ground and heavy rains splash sand up on the jacks.  I don't want a grain of sand getting up in one of the seals.  I also don't want them bone dry from being extended for a period of time before I retract them.  It has become habit to do the same for my slide rams also, mostly when extended for a long time, like work camping for 6 months or being home for 3 months.

Most hydraulic cylinder and RV leveling jack companies recommend wiping the shafts with dry silicone spray that doesn't leave a film that can collect grit.

NY_Dutch said:
Most hydraulic cylinder and RV leveling jack companies recommend wiping the shafts with dry silicone spray that doesn't leave a film that can collect grit.

Agreed, I don't leave it with the lite WD40 on it, I only do this immediately prior to retracting.

Thank you.  Good advice. 
Background: just bought, in our non level driveway have one (rear tire) off ground.  I put chocks under other three. Slides out, we are detail cleaning each day. So sounds like before I lower I should WD40 or (I like Bowshield T9 from boating) the rams.  Then off we go..next Monday.  Upon returning home turn off fridge and leave on wheels.  After next week will be 3-4 weeks before we can journey again.  I got this right?  TIA.

J32952 said:
Thank you.  Good advice. 
Background: just bought, in our non level driveway have one (rear tire) off ground.  I put chocks under other three. Slides out, we are detail cleaning each day. So sounds like before I lower I should WD40 or (I like Bowshield T9 from boating) the rams.  Then off we go..next Monday.  Upon returning home turn off fridge and leave on wheels.  After next week will be 3-4 weeks before we can journey again.  I got this right?  TIA.

You cant wipe them down when retracted or before use, only after they have been down for an extended period of time, months.  Also never leave  a tire off the ground, even for a couple days.  drive up on wood on the low corner, stack 2x8 eighteen inch long boards as, as many as you need to support the wheel when on the jacks, before leveling.  Since you have leveled there you know roughly how far off the ground the tire is.  I have (4) single 2x8's (2) double stack 2x8, and (2) triple stack 2x8's pre-screwed together for easier driving on, I carry every where.  I can use any combo of them or use the singles under the jacks in case of soft/wet ground to spread the weight out and keep the jacks from sinking into the ground.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom