Electrics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julie Murray

When hooked up to 50amp at some parks why do our electrics in our Fleetwood Discovery jump from 50amp to 30 amp and we end up with this clicking noise from our fuse box ?

What do you mean when you say it jumps from 50 Amp to 30 Amp. Can you give us a little more information.
You say you hear clicking, is it coming from one of the 50 Amp breakers?  You should have 2 and they are tied together with a bar.
I would start out but disconnecting the shore power cable and check ALL the screws in your entrance panel to make sure they are tight.

Hi Rene,
The load which shows you the amp jumps from 50 to 30, is it because the park say it's 50amp but maybe not, it doesn't happen all the time just occasionally.

We live in the UK and come over to the states twice a year. We're just wondering if it's this park we stay in occasionally as we were here in June hence the earlier query. Do you think the ampage drops here in the park ? 

It's fine now it's gone back to 50 and no clicking, fingers crossed it remains. We haven't done anything it just rights it's self.

Your RV determines whether the power is 30A or 50A based on the voltage difference between the two "hot" wires of a 50A source. If it is 240v, to concludes 50A; if 120v, then it concludes 30A source.  A few parks may provide non-standard power via a 50A outlet and your RV will make the wrong conclusion (more on that below).  That could apply here, but the clicking you report sounds ominous, as does the jumping between 30A & 50A. Something intermittent is happening.  Could be a faulty transfer switch in your RV, a faulty shore power cord, or some oddball power problem at the park outlet.  Have you tried running on your generator to see if the clicking stops?  If no, you may have a problem with the coach power transfer switch.  Can you move to a different site and try the power outlet there?

Some few parks have 50A outlets that provide less than the full standard 50A/240v service, e.g. dual-30A or dual 50A @20v each.  It's a lot more power than a single 30A outlet, but less than a standard 50A source. The energy management device in your coach will mistakenly limit total power consumption to 30A because it doesn't recognize the non-standard power source.

Thanks Rene & Gary for your replies
Since my last message it's started clicking again so I spoke too soon.

If I discount the power cord and switch to generator it runs as it should.

It sounds like you may have a loose connection. I would start at the circuit breakers. First UNPLUG FROM THE CAMPGROUND POWER. Next open up the circuit breaker box so you can get to the screws and tighten every screw. Then put the cover back on and plug in to the campground and see what happens.  If the problem persists, you'll need to open the Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) and tighten every screw in it. Again make sure you UNPLUG from the campground first.

This.. Should not be possible. HOWEVER... A thought.

Clearly you have an Intelletec Energy Management System. THis system is designed to go to sleep on 50 amp but on 30 amp monitor your usage and shed selected loads (Water hater. Fridge. an Air conditioner) so as to keep your total below 30 (more likely 28) amps.  IT works by monitoring current on the NEUTRAL wire. and by measuring voltage between L-1 and L-2.

If you are plugged into 50 amps. that should be 240 volts.

NOW.. I DO NOT know what the "Trip point" is on that it might be 10 volts or it might be say 200. I'm going to guess 200. I've been in a park where the power is so anemic they did not deliver 100 volts to my shore cord.. That would cause the EMS to switch to 30 amp.

Suggestion.. Get a plug in volt meter and an extension cord. You may also need some tape.

Mount the volt meter where you an see it plugged into the Extension cord plugged into the 20 amp outlet. Nothing plugged in there save the volt meter.. NOTE teh readings when the things is "Searching" (Clicking)

Plug inside and note the voltages.

The volt meter is your friend.

Suggestion 2: Bad connetion or broken wire on teh EMS

Julie Murray said:
Thanks Rene & Gary for your replies
Since my last message it's started clicking again so I spoke too soon.

Find the clicking noise. Circuit breakers don't make clicking noises. A transfer switch will make a clicking noise. Tell us just what is doing it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom