Using chassis for ground wire?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skeeter_ca

Hello,
I am going to install a few extra USB/12v socket outlets in my 5'er. I am not really wanting to tap into exiting wiring because I don't trust they could handle the loads. I plan on running new wiring from the outlet to the battery appropriately fused. To make it easier can it use the chassis for my ground run like they do in auto's? That way I would just have to run one wire instead of two all the way back to the battery. Is this commonly done in RV's?

skeeter

I did exactly that.  New wire from the power center / 12V fuse to under the bed  for the new USB, then a foot to the slider frame.  Works great!

skeeter_ca said:
Hello,
I am going to install a few extra USB/12v socket outlets in my 5'er. I am not really wanting to tap into exiting wiring because I don't trust they could handle the loads.

A USB socket will draw, at the most, 2 amps of current.  That's the same as a small light bulb.  Most of the stuff you'll plug into a cigarette lighter socket is likewise low current.

The easiest way to install them would be to tap into an adjacent light's wiring.  You won't pull enough current to make a difference to the wiring.

skeeter_ca said:
Hello,
I am going to install a few extra USB/12v socket outlets in my 5'er. I am not really wanting to tap into exiting wiring because I don't trust they could handle the loads. I plan on running new wiring from the outlet to the battery appropriately fused. To make it easier can it use the chassis for my ground run like they do in auto's? That way I would just have to run one wire instead of two all the way back to the battery. Is this commonly done in RV's?

skeeter

certainly you can do it, not really a big deal in practice unless it's a large draw or you are anal about technical correctness like me LOL.. of the rv's i own, the original wiring has the negative returns all go back to the power converter and then to the battery. there are only two connections to the chassis, one is the 120 V ground and the other is the battery negative at the shunt. also the trailer lights seem to use the chassis on mine as a return to the 7 pin connector to the truck.
either way will work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom