Restaurant Calories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpencerPJ

Found this entertaining (actually disappointing)  ???

Restaurant Calories
https://www.nutritionix.com/brands/restaurant

Many Restaurants and nearly ALL Chains add "Flavor" (Sugar and/or Fat) to the food to make you crave it more..

Mom and Pop type Family places often do not but may still find ways to up the calories (IE: Bigger servings).

As a Diabetic.. I know there is a book you can buy that lists all this stuff.

I avoid Fast Food for the most part (A few times a year I'll give in) Prefer Mom/Pop type places.

I have a photo on my phone I need to post here but the phone is not by the computer just now. I have an issue to fix with teh "local" charger  (it broke). So it's on the other charger .

SpencerPJ said:
Found this entertaining (actually disappointing)  ???

Restaurant Calories
https://www.nutritionix.com/brands/restaurant
Interesting site.  Thanks

good link!

I've been on a major weight loss effort lately.  Have been using an app called "my fitness pal", by Under Armor.  I've found it very helpful in understanding my calorie and nutrient intake.

It has an amazing database of this kind of stuff.  I've not found much that it doesn't have yet.... scan products by barcode for packaged stuff.  For restaurants you can do a keyword search...."Burger King Whopper Jr." for example....it's very thorough.  Occasionally for more odd places, or mom and pop things, I'm still able to find similar items.... such as "egg roll" from my local chinese takeout joint.... well in the database I can find lots of options for eggroll and pick one that's probably close enough, such as one form ameriserve, or one from Scwann's, or one from Pagoda, etc...

The app seems to be crowd sourced, but I wonder if it's not pulling data from the same source as your linked site....regardless, I'm going to try to remember it as a backup reference!

The last thing I worry about when I eat out (actually when I eat in too) is calories. My first concern is quality and taste then price. I know it?s not a healthy attitude but I can?t help it. I might just die sooner than later. Someone once asked me how I would like to die. My answer ?I would like to be 110 years old and be shot dead by a jealous husband?.

I''m the same way (about the calories). ;D although I do try to avoid high carb foods in restaurants. That can be hard to do especially when they taste so good. I am appalled at the size of the portions in many eaterys, my late wife and I sometimes ordered one plate and split it much to the server's annoyance. We simply could not eat that much! I once saw a relatively slim woman devour two heaping plates of biscuits and gravy, my cholelesterol went up 15 points just watching her.

my late wife and I sometimes ordered one plate and split it much to the server's annoyance.

We often each take home a box of leftovers, which often is nice since we now have two meals for the price of one.  ;D

DW and I split meals also. Some places serve way more than a person should eat at one time.

kdbgoat said:
DW and I split meals also. Some places serve way more than a person should eat at one time.

ha ha, yes...I'd take that statement a bit further to say most places...or even nearly all places....
As I started really paying attention, I was shocked at how little food a person really needs.  I was conditioned by many years to think larger portions were 'normal'.
For years I tried to eat 'healthy'
but I've discovered that even though I was only having 1 bowl, or sometimes 1-1/2 bowls, in reality I was then having 2 to 2-1/2 servings of my "healthy cereal" in the morning
and my "healthy grilled chicken salad" that I'd often have for lunch...complete with dressing on the side and barely even used... had probably 1/2 of the calories I need for the day, based on my 1-1/2 to 2 pounds per week weight loss diet target.

I'm a relatively inactive person...but I took a look at what my brother in law eats...now he's a marathon runner (frequent), does full on iron man competitions, 100 mile + bike rides, etc... I figure he's pretty much always nearly ready to go at a moments notice to run a marathon.... runs and bikes what I would consider extreme distances daily...  Anyway, this guy burns what would seem to be tons of calories but it wasn't like he was eating everything available.  Actually smaller portions, splitting main courses with his wife as many of you have mentioned.  Seems to focus way more on quality calories and reasonable serving sizes.  His brother is the same way.

blw2 said:
good link!

I've been on a major weight loss effort lately.  Have been using an app called "my fitness pal", by Under Armor.  I've found it very helpful in understanding my calorie and nutrient intake.

I've simply cut back on sugars, soda pop, hard alcohol, and carbs.  Not eliminate, just cute back. 
Dropping weight easily. 
College kids coming home for holidays, we'll see how long this lasts.
I split my plate often as well.  Sometimes I ask for to go box immediately.  Server kinda looks at me, but if it's in a box, I don't keep nibbling.

Since the Mrs's heart surgery this Summer, we are just starting to get out to dinner. It's tough when you have to mind Calories/ Sugars/ Sodium and such.
Learned a lot lately.
For example:
- Did you know that a slice of bread can have as much Sodium as a slice of Bacon?
- It is amazing how fast you can top that 2000 mg Sodium limit when dining out.
- Most restaurants haven't the foggiest how much salt or Sodium is in their food.
- Chicken is a NO-NO at the Diner. Same with Turkey. Most Poultry products have enormous Sodium count.
- Low Sodium foods are still dangerous, because they usually substitute Potassium for Sodium. And if you're on a low Sodium diet, you have to watch your
  Potassium, too, because the balance between Sodium, Potassium and Magnesium is what makes your Cells function normally. Not to mention you Nervous System
  and Brain.

Oldgator73 said:
The last thing I worry about when I eat out (actually when I eat in too) is calories. My first concern is quality and taste then price. I know it?s not a healthy attitude but I can?t help it. I might just die sooner than later. Someone once asked me how I would like to die. My answer ?I would like to be 110 years old and be shot dead by a jealous husband?.

I like the adage that 'calories count, but you don't have to count calories'. I don't know how or when I'll go, but I don't see the point in being the healthiest corpse in the morgue...

;)

It's tough when you have to mind Calories/ Sugars/ Sodium and such.

My husband had to limit his salt too, so we pretty much quit eating out. I used a variety of herbs and seasonings and other things to increase the flavor so the food I cooked did taste good. When we did eat out, it seemed like all I could taste was the salt. I think thats some restaurants main ingredient

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom