Towing late model Mini Countryman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfvanderburg

I'm new to RV'ing and trying to find out if its possible to tow a 2016 Mini Countryman 6-speed as a TOAD.  Everything that I've read online references older mini's and the Dinghy Guides that I've seen don't list any Mini's as tow-able.  The owners manual for the Mini is pretty vague - there is a section that describes towing it with a towbar - which seems to suggest that it's possible but I'm hoping that someone out there that has some experience towing a Mini can reassure me.
Thanks, Mark.

Welcome to the Forum!

The best reference is your Owner Manual, under towing or recreational towing.

The easiest reference is Remco Industries.      http://www.remcotowing.com/Towing/Store.php

According to them, a 2016 Countryman FWD  MANUAL TRANSMISSION    is towable 4 down as is.        AWD and automatics are NOT towable except with all 4 tires off the ground, on a trailer.

The issue is the transmission not getting proper fluid flow or cooling in the AWD and Auto Tranny models.

Hope this helps!

I have about 20-25K miles towed on my 2006 mini cooper.  Some things have changed since then.  The key fob being the most important.  On mine I have to leave the key in the ignition to unlock the steering wheel.  There is a large sweet spot when turning mine that unlocks the steering wheel but doesn't turn anything on, zero lights on dash nothing, if I go to far lights come on and the battery runs down while towing.  You need to experiment with the key fob by leaving it in the car and then disconnecting the battery to see if the steering wheel stays unlocked.  I don't know for sure how that works for the key fob cars.  I saw one guy had a quick disconnect on his battery.  We always talk to other Mini RV people.  You will need to add lights also.  Blueox makes kits for th Mini's, you may be able to find them from other companies.  I use Blueox.  They also have video's on how to install the tow bracket and lights. PM me with any further questions.

Back
Top Bottom