Using Dicor self leveling sealant question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prior member

What is the best cleaner to use around a roof top vent prior to using Dicor self leveling sealant ?

Jack L

What are you cleaning off?  If you are only removing dirt and grime, I start with a solvent like Varsol, then soap and water.  However, if you are removing caulking, or a silicon sealant, then you will have to remove it first with something like a putty knife.  Remember, nothing sticks to silicone once it hardens, so it has to be fully removed.

Ed

I found that gasoline worked well for removing the last thin scum layer of old silicone.

Hfx_Cdn said:
    What are you cleaning off?  If you are only removing dirt and grime, I start with a solvent like Varsol, then soap and water.  However, if you are removing caulking, or a silicon sealant, then you will have to remove it first with something like a putty knife.  Remember, nothing sticks to silicone once it hardens, so it has to be fully removed.

Ed
No, just any dirt or grime.
it will be going over the original sealant

jack L

In that case, you could try any non abrasive household cleaner first, and then a solvent if it doesn't do the job.  Gary has a much better technical background than me, but I have never run into any difficulty using Varsol as a grease or oil remover.  By the way, Varsol is a trade mark which is sometimes difficult to find in the US, but any light solvent from a paint or hardware store should do.

Ed

Mineral spirits is the generic name and it's fine to use as long as it doesn't have an opportunity to soak in. Most any petroleum-base solvent will permeate EPDM rubber and then loosens the adhesives underneath, leading to bubbles under the skin.  I cautioned about it simply because inexperienced people might do something that others never imagined, e.g. spray on a bunch of solvent and scrub with a bristle brush, like the way they might clean the engine in an old car. Not a good idea on a rubber roof.

yes you are correct,  I should have said gasoline worked well to remove some old silicone... on a fiberglass roof.

In the sign business,  we used chemicals like MEK, and acetone to dissolve old adhesives.  (but never ever on a rubber surface).

sometimes on a sensitive surface ... we used WD40 as a cleaner of oil based paints (graffiti) and sticker adhesives. 

GA_Boy said:
I use alcohol.
Prior to asking the question, that is what I was planning on using, but since I have never worked with the self leveling Dicor, thought I better ask here first

Jack L

As long as it is clean and dry, before applying the Dicor and you are not trying to cover silicone whatever cleans it will work.  The Dicor is pretty easy to work with.

Ed

Old_Crow said:
Hopefully, not too much before you get up on the roof.

oddly.........Up on a roof is where I learned to drink as a kid.  8)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom