Help False Alarms Idiot Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tin man

I have a 2007 Journey with a 300 Cummings and a ARENS 2000 transmission.
Check engine light with a turbo code has been a annoying problem. Had the turbo replaced once under warranty, but the problem reappeared. Cummings reset the code numerous times, but it still shows up. Now I started to get a STOP ENGINE. light transmission message, and a check transmission light.
After 5 min it resets.  I have been  told it is probably a bad or dirty boards.  Cummings and a repair shop in Allentown Five Star both told me as long as the truck is running well just disregard the lights. I cannot live with that. Anyone have had similar problems?

Going to be in Orlando area for the winter will try to research, just do not know where the boards are or what wires to look for.  A little knowledge is dangerous.

Tin man said:
A little knowledge is dangerous.
Coming from the TinMan, that's great  ;D

Good luck, and I agree, I'd start with re-seating the boards.  Probably best to disconnect the battery (s), unplug/replug can create slight sparky, not good on boards.  For that matter, I would start with a complete battery disconnect, let sit for 30 minutes, reconnect.  Just like our cellphones, a hard reset fixes glitches sometimes. 

True story MAY BE related.
When we lifted the "new" used engine into my gasser.. Well it ran well many times till it came time to drive it off the lumber and onto the ground (We build a wooden riser for it> Very solid)

It would not start

Both ECC (OBD-II) and dash (Tac) said "Crankshaft sensor"  (We had used the older one that was on the "new" engine.. since the newer one on my original engine was different physically) Connection was a tad tarnished. Unplugged and re-plugged a few times and tried again. Don't think the key got all the way into START and it was running (Fired on the first cylinder to reach TDC)

Just arrived at ORO four corners FL. Driving around JAX getting back on I95 red engine light came on and transmission went into neutral. Had to **** into N and back into D and was working.  Lights went out. About 10 min later I95 slowed down traffic, and again red stop engine light and transmission error message on screen. No power, pulled over, back to N and back to D and restored the transmission.  All but the check engine light went out.  The rest of the ride was uneventful.  Where would I look for the boards?  Not that I know what to do, but I think I can clean them. If I can find them.

Thanks everyone for your advise and info.

At this point I can't tell if you have an engine control problem or a transmission control problem. he fact that the tranny shifts into neutral suggests the tranny and engine have ceased communication, meaning neither knows what the other is doing, so they both want to stop and get help.  Apparently shifting re-synchs them for awhile. 

The Journey is a Freightliner chassis and they usually have tranny computer and relays on the back right, often on the last strage bay (passenger side). Engine controller may be there too, or near by.

Gary

The back panel is the AC. Basement Air.  I have been told there was a lot of rust on the chassis.

Do you think Freightliner would be able to fix the problem?

I just love(hate) when a mechanic tells me to ignore the light, nothing's wrong! How am I supposed to know when something's wrong if the light is always on? I'd rather pay to get the light off than drive it and not know if catastrophe is right around the corner. (/rant), sorry.

Tin man said:
I have been told there was a lot of rust on the chassis.

You might check around some of your battery to chassis ground connections, or any ground connections, especially around the master boards. Grounds are famous for causing squirelly electric issues. 

I agree with Melbrooks...why have lights when they don?t mean anything.  I don?t mind the cost if they can solve and fix the problem.  The problem is finding someone who knows what they are doing....

Back
Top Bottom