So many questions about Full-timing...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

sightseers

Is it just me,    or has there been a lot more people asking about 'Full-timing' in RV's ? 

There are always a lot of people thinking about full timing. But then the reality kicks in and they forget about it. Many people think it is cheaper to live in an RV. They think all you have to do is spend $5k on an old RV and then they can park in the desert and live for free.

We've seen something of an increasing trend (?) for some years. Folks reaching retirement or early retirement were always likely to go/try fulltiming or long-timing. More recently, we've seen a perceptible increase in the number of folks a long way from retirement with a financial need, who see fulltime RV living  as an alternative to paying a mortgage or renting a house/apartment. For some, it's perceived to be a solution in a very difficult/impossible housing market.

It's not possible to generalize on individual needs or circumstances, but we've certainly seen an increase in questions/comments in this area.

I'm guilty of being one who is asking about "full-timing" but I think I may have been using the term incorrectly and I wonder if others have done the same. It seems there's a difference between "full-timing" for, say, a year or two (which is what we're going to do), and selling everything, never to set foot in a traditional home again. As all of you know, this is a massive decision, but also a massive dream for many. Figuring it out is overwhelming, at first. I can understand why many people give up. Working out the logistics is nearly a full time job, and I've given myself 3 years to do it. I would imagine many are less patient when reality sets in. 

I kinda thought so Tom. 

I hope the RV industry has started designing newer or different RV's with more 'full-timing' in mind.

Anyone that has ever lived Full-time in an RV knows the things I dream of...  residential size bathrooms,  kitchen counters large enough to cook a Thanksgiving dinner....

because of the economy and/or the crazy housing market (especially here in CA).... so many 'Recreational Vehicles' have become "Residential Vehicles'    :-\

SeilerBird said:
They already make larger RVs. The problem is they are not $5k like so many are expecting.

Anyone with an internet connection probably already knows that.... ;)

A nice new larger residential type 5th wheel is running about $100k and up.    You can buy a great house in many states for that.

Nicer Class A's run $400k and up....... You can buy an 'Estate' in Arkansas for that....  ;D

SusanV said:
I'm guilty of being one who is asking about "full-timing" but I think I may have been using the term incorrectly and I wonder if others have done the same. It seems there's a difference between "full-timing" for, say, a year or two (which is what we're going to do), and selling everything, never to set foot in a traditional home again. As all of you know, this is a massive decision, but also a massive dream for many. Figuring it out is overwhelming, at first. I can understand why many people give up. Working out the logistics is nearly a full time job, and I've given myself 3 years to do it. I would imagine many are less patient when reality sets in.
Technically, I guess it's full-time,  whether it's a full-time for months or years.... (sometimes, years is forever) 

a week or two would be camping. 

(Funny thing... years ago all RV's used to be called Campers...:) )

Fulltime isn't rigorously defined, but basically if you live only in the RV year-around, we call it "fulltime".  If you maintain a fixed home and travel for months at a time, we call it "long time" and it shares many (but not all) of the concerns of fulltime.

We always advise fulltimers to have an "exit plan", i.e. how to get out of RVing when the time comes (as it does for almost everyone). Even if the plan is to simply park it somewhere with hook-ups and die there. Getting out after 2-3 years makes amortization of the costs more challenging, but otherwise isn't materially different than a longer term.
Yeah, more people inquiring and many of them clueless about it, as Seilerbird described.

We are not here to discourage anyone from full timing, we just want to inform about the realities of it. I full time and love it. I cringe though when I see a post from someone that is ready to jump into it and wants to do it on a shoe string budget (or no budget at all).  Asking questions here, and doing good research is highly recommended.

RV's were designed to be used as a Recreational (camping) vehicle,  but so many people are using RV's these days as a primary full-time residence even as there are many unenforced federal, state and local laws to discourage it.

IMO...you better have a backup plan....at some point in life it's gonna be real hard to get up and down those 6 steps.

(maybe dig a hole and bury it up to the bumpers  :)) )

Nah, just get some lumber and build a wheelchair ramp.  It's no different than having a mobile home in a park space.

We were at Fort Chiswell RV park in Virginia and met a couple that also had Florida tags.  We started a conversation and they were full timers for three years.  They had sold everything to do it.  They were both sick of it and were going to sell out and buy another house.  They had really become disgruntled with the lifestyle.  It certainly does not work for everybody.

I got into fulltiming by accident. After a lengthy overseas ICU visit, I moved to a relative's home. The docs didn't expect me to last more than a few months. My new living situation was not ideal. I bought an old Class C to live in (their yard) but as I became stronger, the urge to travel struck me. One day I set sail down the highways and byways and just kept going.

Traveled 8 years with my dog as copilot in a 28 foot Class C. I did it on a very tiny well managed budget. I rarely meet folks that can do this happily, but I was willing to put the effort into making it happen. This included eating a mountain of dried beans instead of pricey meats!  ::) However, I did not boondock, I wanted utilities available.

I found beautiful affordable campgrounds in far flung places and typically stayed the max (often only 14 days) in each one.

My exit plan ended up being an RV lot in Florida I purchased and later buying a 36 foot 5th wheel with a mega slide out.

I had grown to love tiny home living! I couldn't imagine life in an apartment complex and didn't want the hassles of sticks and bricks home ownership (been there, done that, had a blast).

My 5th wheel is a 1992 well built  top of the line custom build and it has held up beautifully. I had to make some maintenance repairs when I bought it, but knock on wood, everything works in it and I am enjoying it immensely.  After being in a Class C with no slides for 8 years, this rig seems huge to me. Even my dog had to get used to the new room and space we enjoy.

I was able to put up continuous dog fence pens so that my RV is encircled now. For the first time in 8 years, the dog has freedom to race around playing in "his yard".

So technically I am still fulltiming, just not traveling at this point and time.

The RV park I bought a lot in, also rents out about a third of the lots, so I at least enjoy the camaraderie of other travelers.

If and when I get stronger again, I may trade this in for something smaller to travel around again. But for now, it's home sweet home while I cool my heels.

Attachments

• DSCF4110-600x600.JPG
    DSCF4110-600x600.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF4122-600x600.JPG
    DSCF4122-600x600.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF4338-600x600.JPG
    DSCF4338-600x600.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF4415-600x600.JPG
    DSCF4415-600x600.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF4467-600x600.JPG
    DSCF4467-600x600.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 27
My story almost parallels DMMs. I went on a six month camping trip in 2003 and it ended up lasting ten years until until my class A died. It died here in central Florida and I decided it was a message from God to stay put. God was correct. I love it here. I started out in a tent and then went to a class B, then a class C, then a class A DP, back to a class B, then a class A, then a bigger class A. Now I live in a 20 year old 33 foot fiver that I really love. A top of the line unit in it's day that received very little use and I got it for $4200. I have put a few grand into it and it is just heaven.

Back
Top Bottom