Elec vs. Hyd jacks pros and cons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldryder

I am presently looking at a 2004 Tiffin Allegro Bay.  Real nice unit with low miles.  will be my 1st RV purchase.

Looking for info and comments on the relative merits of elec vs. hyd jacks.

thx
mark in MN

You're not likely to have a choice. Motor homes are almost exclusively hydraulic and tra ilers tend to be electric screw jacke. The reason is the different in loading. Hydraulic is well suited to max loads in the thousands of lbs. to lift and level heavier homes. Screw type hacks are better suited to levelling applications whers the loads are much lower. Of course, both are ultimately electrical with the screw types directly driven as opposed to using a hydraulic pump and cylinders.

Ernie

Electric leveling jacks are cheaper than a hydraulic system and so usually found only on entry level motorhome models. Personally, I wouldn't touch electric levelers with a 10 foot pole. They are underpowered and notoriously unreliable. Even the most basic hydraulic system performs better, lasts longer, and can be repaired instead of replaced.  Did I mention I don't like electric leveling jacks?

Thx. everyone.  I figured elec was inferior  ? and I definitely don't want anything that is a headache.

I'm sure there must be people who have had decent service from them, but the reports here of failed and unrepairable electric leveling jacks have been numerous.  The ones used as trailer tongue jacks or for truck campers seem to perform well, but the electric jack leveling systems for motorhomes have been problematic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom