Toilet Problem - 1996 Nomad trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marknoo

My toilet is not flushing properly. A few days ago I noticed that there was no water coming out when I flush the toilet. I tried to flush it again today and there is still no water coming out to help flush the toilet but the white handle stays open.

On the side of the stool, by the place where people site, there are two little levers you move with your hand to flush the toilet.

The grayish colored one opens a piece of plastic so waste can go down into the tank. It works but it is kind of sticky. Like it might want to stop working pretty soon.

The whit one lets in the water to help with the flush. It is stuck wide open but no water is coming out.

How do you fix a problem like this?

How hard is it to take out a toilet and put in a new one?

Should I turn the water off on the outside of the trailer so there is not way for that valve to start releasing water and flood out the trailer?

(my toilet looks a lot like this one, but there are no markings or numbers for me to positively identify it with.)

I know they have repair kits, but you will have to try and insert a picture or tell us what kind of toilet you have. 

I changed the Subject to more accurately reflect your question.  Hopefully this will help get more responses.

Swapping out an RV toilet is very simple. At worst you have to hunt for the screws that hold it to the floor, but it is much like a house toilet in the way it mounts, i.e. bolts or screws through a flange on the sewer pipe.

It sounds as though one of your levers has disconnected from the water inlet valve, which is probably behind the toilet or maybe attached to it. At worst a new valve or new lever needed.  On the other hand, a new toilet probably works nicely and maybe isn't much more than buying a couple repair parts.

There are videos on YouTube on toilet replacements that will surely help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTdXswyMrXE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLVl9X1g8A0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1woTWoHMTzQ

YOu need to find the linkage (usually a metal wire or rod) that connects the lever to teh valve. Odds are either the link broke, a "Bell crank" broke, the Valve borke, or the lever (Where the link(S) connect is the breakage ;point)  M ay have just come unhooked due to a clip gone away without leave.

Assuming this is the original toilet, it is now 22 years old.  Toilets are very simple, but by the time you buy parts, find you need something else, ordering, waiting for delivery, blah, blah,...  You could buy a new one and be done.

The new one can be just what you want - high or low profile, round or elongated, plastic or china bowl, choice of color,  foot or hand flush,  mechanical or electrical flush, low cost or really expensive.

I replaced mine last summer.  It took me 30 minutes.

One note - the water inlet valve on an RV toilet is NOT a standard toilet fitting!!  It accepts the standard ? inch SINK supply line.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom