Trying to figure out TV system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thelazyl

Hello, new RV owner here.  I am having a bit of a challenge with the TV system.  I can see the back of the TV if I remove a cabinet panel behind it.  However, it is awkward for me and I can't get a good look at a device that is on the back left-corner of the TV (back-left as you face it).  I suspect it is something for the sound system.  I am going to try tilting the TV out (it is a flat screen).  In the attached photo you might see a finished cabinet board on the ceiling directly in front of the TV cabinet.  I plan on taking off that board and then seeing how I can remove the facing boards around the front of the TV.  My objectives are twofold:  (1) To figure out the mystery device which I suspect is for the sound system - what brand it is, how it is wired up, and how I can turn it on and (2) hopefully figure out how the coax cables run.  The cable inlet near the dump station outside does not connect to the TV as is.  I suspect the 2 main cables I am seeing are coming from the roof dish and roof TV antenna. 

I will gladly take any advice.  My handyman skills are somewhat limited but I am willing to learn.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Beast TV.jpg
    Beast TV.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 46
Year/make/model of coach always help reduce the guesswork. Someone may even have the same or similar rig.

The park cable inlet typically goes through the roof antenna coax via a A/B switch. Do you have an wall module for the antenna with an On/Off switch for the antenna amp? If so, that is probably also the cable/TV A/B switch. With the antenna amp off, the park cable inlet is connected to the coax that goes to the TV's coax input.  If you don't have a switch like that, do you have a video switching box that selects which input goes to which tv? If so, there is maybe a button there that selects park cable. However, since you have only two coax in back, the best guess is that the one for the roof antenna handles it.

I've seen so many way to mount a tv in the cabinets that there is no way to describe them all.  Could be screws in from the sides, a mounting bar across the back, screws or bolts up from the bottom, or various combinations. That's where manufacturer info helps - each builder has his favorite tricks.

Thank you!  This is what I was looking for!

2003 Fleetwood 37U (Bounder diesel pusher).

Arg!  I HAD an A/B switch and took it out because I thought it was an add-on.  Hopefully I kept the part.  I will check again using the TV input button.

I hate to admit my first roadblock.  The RV came with 5 remote control units.  I changed batteries in each yet couldn't turn the TV on.  I was able to conclude the TV is broken.  Then I realized it probably needs 110 power.  It took me 2 days to figure that one out!

I would love to see what is in the cabinets especially the one off to the right.  From the photo can we even SEE behind the TV

Typically a Television in that position is plugged into a special outlet. THis outlet contains a relay and that relay is operated by the vehicle ignition switch. KEY ON.. TV OFF.. (Required by federal law in fact)

From the TV. coax and possibly other cables run a switch or a switch box.  The BOX (if you have it) is often in the right hand cabinet.  From that box or switch there is a cable to the Park Cable Inlet. and to the antenna on the roof. There may also be "Source" cables to the compartment on the other side (Sat input) and CD/DVD/Blue ray cables and "other" cables  Without knowing what' sin the side compartments it is hard to tell

IF you have a single wall plate with a 12 volt socket LED, Switch and antenna connector and NOBODY has messed with the wires.. Light on = ROof top OTA antenna.. OFF = Park cable (Assumes fuse is good)

IF you have a 'Box of many buttons" you need to read the lables  IT needs to be "ON" For DVD/CD and OTA. Do not know if it needs to be on for other things. 

TV may also have a "Line" or HDMI input (Line may be called A'/V) which works woth the sound system believe it or not. but does not in any affect ther sound system.

welcome to the Forum!

I have nothing to add on the TV.  It took me a few months to figure mine out!  Good advise above.

Looking at the pic, that coach appears to be in GREAT shape, especially for a teenager!

thelazyl said:
Hello, new RV owner here.  I am having a bit of a challenge with the TV system.  I can see the back of the TV if I remove a cabinet panel behind it.  However, it is awkward for me and I can't get a good look at a device that is on the back left-corner of the TV (back-left as you face it).  I suspect it is something for the sound system.  I am going to try tilting the TV out (it is a flat screen).  In the attached photo you might see a finished cabinet board on the ceiling directly in front of the TV cabinet.  I plan on taking off that board and then seeing how I can remove the facing boards around the front of the TV.  My objectives are twofold:  (1) To figure out the mystery device which I suspect is for the sound system - what brand it is, how it is wired up, and how I can turn it on and (2) hopefully figure out how the coax cables run.  The cable inlet near the dump station outside does not connect to the TV as is.  I suspect the 2 main cables I am seeing are coming from the roof dish and roof TV antenna. 

I will gladly take any advice.  My handyman skills are somewhat limited but I am willing to learn.

Thanks in advance.
Most likely you don't need to do anything behind the tv. If no one has messed with stuff it should work. What input source are you using? There is a booster for the antena that needs to be on. I is probbabley in the cabinet to the left on the front wall. I had a hard time seeing myswitch because it was behind the receiver/CD player.
Let's start with the over the air antenna. Make shure you have 120V power to the tv. On the box of many buttons (BOMB) push all the buttons in marked antena. Now with the TV on use the remote to go to the menu where you select over the air or antena. Then do a channel search. This should give you all the stations available.
When hooked up to cable (it connects in the wet bay) you go to the BOMB and push all the buttons in marked cable. Then go on the TV and change the settings to cable and do the chanel search.
Let me know what you find out.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom