Small CPAP machine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
When we make car or air trips with hotel stays, I wonder if there's a smaller/lighter alternative to my CPAP machine, but I haven't found one. The humidifier tank takes up quite a bit of space, and I suppose I could manage for a few nights with a model that doesn't have a humidifier. The hose/headgear/mask (pillows) probably wouldn't be smaller. The power supply brick and cables could be smaller/lighter, maybe even a machine that runs off a rechargeable battery  ???

Anyone found a smaller/lighter CPAP device?

I know the Phillips Respironics System One which was my last one can be used without the tank. I just got the Respironics dream Machine and it's the same.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KDFNLKT/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1541894380&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=respironics+dream+station&psc=1

Thanks Rene, neat looking machine. Off to read the specs. My Respironics won't work if I just remove the tank (it throws a 'leak' alarm).
BTW did Medicare pay for the new machine?

Tom said:
Thanks Rene, neat looking machine. Off to read the specs. My Respironics won't work if I just remove the tank (it throws a 'leak' alarm).
BTW did Medicare pay for the new machine?

Yes it did along with all the supplies needed in the future. They replace the machine every 5 years.

[quote author=Rene T]They replace the machine every 5 years.[/quote]
That's something I didn't know!

Tom said:
Check with your carrier if you have supplemental coverage. Mine was very strict about the 5th anniversary date and doctor's renewal prescription.

BernieD said:
Check with your carrier if you have supplemental coverage. Mine was very strict about the 5th anniversary date and doctor's renewal prescription.

You are so right. My anniversary date was 10/16/18 and I was hoping to get the new machine a few days before that date so I had at least a few days I could try it out before I headed to FL but Medicare said no way.

Tom said:

This is the schedule for Medicare:

Disposable filters 2 each month
Non-disposable filter every 6 months
Replaceable pillow or nasal cushion 2 sets per month
Replaceable full face cushion 1 per month
Mask every 3 months
Tubing every 3 months
Chin strap every 6 months
Headgear every 6 months
Humidification water tank every 6 months
Machine every 5 years

I got this machine Jan 2016, so too soon for a replacement  ???

Tom said:
I got this machine Jan 2016, so too soon for a replacement  ???

Keep in mind for Medicare to pay for everything, you need to see a sleep Doc annually, which they pay for, and just before you need the new machine, you need to get a prescription from the Doc.

Heard this advertised on the radio:
  https://www.minicpap.com/

I used the Phillips Respironics for years, but my latest sleep doctor replaced it with a Resmed Airsense 10 - more bells & whistles.

Any CPAP is a hassle, but I sleep better WITH it than WITHOUT it.

I can't complain about my AirSense 10, and there are only a few times a year when we drive across country sans the motorhome, staying in motels. But, on those occasions, it just feels like one more piece of luggage especially when, like at one of last week's overnight stays, I had to lug everything up some outside stairs (no room on the ground floor, no elevator and no ramp). I sure missed the convenience of the motorome - no repeated packing/unpacking or navigating stairs.

While Medicare says ?5 years on machine? it is not automatic.  Even monthly & quarterly disposable supply replacement requires your provider to document need.  (20 years in that world prior to retirement). You do not need to see a Sleep Doc annually for new RX (for Medicare) HOWEVER in many states an RX is only for 1 year, in that case you do need a new script.  It can be from a GP.  You local provider should know state requirements.
  There are a number of newer much smaller footprint machines on the market.  Most will only be available for out of pocket (i.e. cash) purchase as their wholesale costs are significantly higher and Medicare reimbursement to the provider has been slashed. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom