Drawer Catch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure what style you means by "classic plastic drawer catches", since there are several varieties in common use in RVs, but Yes, I've used magnetic catches.  Not very successfully, though, unless the drawer contains only light objects and isn't subject to much external force (turns, braking, etc). Even the heavy duty magnets seem easily susceptible to opening up in sharp turns or firm braking.

I've had the best results with a push-latch. They hold firmly but still release easily with a pull on the drawer handle.

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/RV-Designer-Push-Latch-10Lbs.html
https://www.campingworld.com/heavy-duty-push-latch

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Not sure what style you means by "classic plastic drawer catches", since there are several varieties in common use in RVs, but Yes, I've used magnetic catches.  Not very successfully, though, unless the drawer contains only light objects and isn't subject to much external force (turns, braking, etc). Even the heavy duty magnets seem easily susceptible to opening up in sharp turns or firm braking.

I've had the best results with a push-latch. They hold firmly but still release easily with a pull on the drawer handle.

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/RV-Designer-Push-Latch-10Lbs.html
https://www.campingworld.com/heavy-duty-push-latch

That push latch you linked IS the "classic plastic drawer catch" I'm talking about. The issue is I have one that was cracked. I glued it, it cracked again. I had it replaced. Screws pulled loose. I glued in the screws. If they come out again I'm going to have to do something different because the wood screw-hole isn't fitting the screws....

Move the latch do a different place on the drawer?

Your problems seems to be more with the crappy cabinet construction than the type of latch. If the screws pull out before the latch opens, it is gonna happen with other types as well if they hold the drawer closed as they should.

The ease with which a push-latch opens and closes is affected by the alignment of the catch and socket. If they don't align well, one side often breaks or pulls loose under stress.  I'll grant, though, that the push latches do break and I was in the habit of carrying a couple extras.

Maybe the brass bead (ball-detent) type would work for you. Or a positive latch type?

If you want to keep what you have, you can purchase longer screws of the same diameter or use a machine screw with a nut, washer and lock washer, with a new latch of course. With our newer cabinets I went with self closing (not soft closing) drawer slides which seem to be working well. Like Gary said, if something moves forward the momentum will open the drawer or door, haven't had that happen yet on mine. I thought about the push button latches but didn't like that appearance myself.

In our last trailer, I made a large cabinet with doors on the top and four drawers on the bottom and my wife designed and installed velcro fasteners for the drawers and they worked great. The drawer was allowed to open just enough to allow a finger to either connect or disconnect the velcro.

jack L

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Move the latch do a different place on the drawer?
Your problems seems to be more with the crappy cabinet construction than the type of latch. If the screws pull out before the latch opens, it is gonna happen with other types as well if they hold the drawer closed as they should.
The ease with which a push-latch opens and closes is affected by the alignment of the catch and socket. If they don't align well, one side often breaks or pulls loose under stress.  I'll grant, though, that the push latches do break and I was in the habit of carrying a couple extras.
Maybe the brass bead (ball-detent) type would work for you. Or a positive latch type?

I'm very reluctant to make any more new holes in there, y'know?

I found (Amazon) a magnetic baby-proofing thing called BabyTrust. Sticks on (3M). Catches the door/drawer closed until a magnet release the catch. I'll try that next. The drawer works and catches just fine now but it makes me crazy when it pops open while driving...

Deano2002 said:
If you want to keep what you have, you can purchase longer screws of the same diameter or use a machine screw with a nut, washer and lock washer, with a new latch of course. With our newer cabinets I went with self closing (not soft closing) drawer slides which seem to be working well. Like Gary said, if something moves forward the momentum will open the drawer or door, haven't had that happen yet on mine. I thought about the push button latches but didn't like that appearance myself.

I like the push-button latch, but putting that hole in the drawer face is something that I'll never do...  (I already checked with Winnebago and none
of the wood (doors/drawers, etc.) for my RV is available...

JackL said:
In our last trailer, I made a large cabinet with doors on the top and four drawers on the bottom and my wife designed and installed velcro fasteners for the drawers and they worked great. The drawer was allowed to open just enough to allow a finger to either connect or disconnect the velcro.

If the baby-proof latch I'm gonna try doesn't work I'm definitely going for a Velcro strip!

I keep my toilet closed.

However I had a friend traveling with me who forgot to put the lid down.

UGH!

While we were driving the magnetic catch on the medicine cabinet came open and every last item landed in the open toilet.

I kept the magnet latch but added a positive latch.

Fishing all that stuff out of the toilet was no fun.

You do NOT want magnetic only catches.

AnRVAndADog said:
Screws pulled loose. I glued in the screws. If they come out again I'm going to have to do something different because the wood screw-hole isn't fitting the screws....
AnRVAndADog
See: https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/how-to-fix-a-stripped-screw-hole-3536468

On a side note.  I've had great success fixing stripped holes in wood with tooth picks.  Just break off a tooth pick in the stripped hole.  Reinstall screw.

Deano2002 said:
I like the looks of those, never have seen them. Do they hold the drawer/door closed well?

Yes, the tension of the springs holding the latching "balls" can be adjusted by turning two "screws" so you can get a very firm grip on the latch.  We never need to use external straps, etc, to hold our cabinets closed.  What I do is use Locktite (blue) on the adjustment screws so they don't vibrate loose.

I have Camp'N RV cabinet latch they work very well. The latches are beautifully designed and sturdy, easy to install.

That push latch you linked IS the "classic plastic drawer catch" I'm talking about. The issue is I have one that was cracked. I glued it, it cracked again. I had it replaced. Screws pulled loose. I glued in the screws. If they come out again I'm going to have to do something different because the wood screw-hole isn't fitting the screws....
Wooden matches make great repair sticks for enlarged screw holes. Cut to length, coat in Elmer's glue, insert, reinsert screw.

I thought of using child latches in my RV but did not

I had 4 Drawers Will use ==== to represent them
1 ====
( )
2====

3====
( )
4====

The ( ) represent a large Eye Lag type bolt I screwed into the trim between 1 and 2 and between 3 and 4

Drop a dowel down the eyes and the drawers remain closed on the road. Guaranteed.

Back
Top Bottom