What do I need to do differently?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wasoki

In the past we have visited Florida in the winter for 4 to 6 weeks, moved from park to park. In the process the generator was exercised, and equipment was generally used. 

This year we are in one spot in southern Florida.  We arrived Oct 31 and don't plan on leaving until May.  This would be the longest time the motorhome has been in one place.

I like the idea of not winterizing, but are there things that I need to be aware of because the unit won't be moved?  We just purchased tire covers,  we rinse the holding tanks at least weekly,  the generator is bing exercised monthly, with the high humidity we run the air regularly to keep things dry inside (and to keep cool).

Am I missing anything (other than snow and cold)?

I would do a walk-around once a month; peering under the hood and into any other nooks and crannies to be sure no one is building any kind of nest anywhere that may cause problems.

It's OK to drive it somewhere.

I used to take my motorhome out on day trips to keep the engine lubricated and happy. :)

It's also a great way to tidy up and organize, going on a day trip once a month.

Fun too!

I have seen people cover their wipers with a pool noodle/pipe insulation, and have seen it recommended on this and other forums, but I have never been told why this is something that is needed. Could someone explain this please?

The glass of the windshield reflects sunlight so the wipers get a douible dose of SUNLIGHT. this can make them very very very hot and literally melt them a bit, then they stick to the windshield and when you sue 'em tear and streak.> THe noodles keep 'em cool and non-sticky.

I use a small spacer.. holds 'em off the windshield (GM once did this on cars automatically) the pool noodle would be a better cause when something hit the wiper. the amplified force cracked a windshield.  Would not have happened with noodles.

John From Detroit said:
The glass of the windshield reflects sunlight so the wipers get a douible dose of SUNLIGHT. this can make them very very very hot and literally melt them a bit, then they stick to the windshield and when you sue 'em tear and streak.> THe noodles keep 'em cool and non-sticky.

I use a small spacer.. holds 'em off the windshield (GM once did this on cars automatically) the pool noodle would be a better cause when something hit the wiper. the amplified force cracked a windshield.  Would not have happened with noodles.

Gotcha. Thanx. No wipers on our fifth wheel, so no problem there. We use a cover over the windshield and door glass on the C, so I guess no problem there either.

Covering the wipers is  popularly believe to extend the life of the wiper blades by reducing the effects of heat & ultraviolet on the rubber. It seems fairly obvious, but I've never seen any testing or documented evidence it helps any.  Also popularly recommended is keeping the blades clean (wipe with isopropyl alcohol monthly) and lifting to keep them off the glass (tennis ball under the arm). 

Better grades of wipers seem to last longer, but they all dry out and get stiff enough that performance decreases over time.  Personally I've never bothered with extra preventatives and simply plan on replacing blades every 2-3 years. However, it does seem that the wipers on the motorhome needed replacement earlier  than the wipers on our cars.

About wipers...

When I lived in the Caribbean the sun was relentless.

I had to buy new windshield wipers every year for my jeep if I expected them to work in the rain.

The RV ones tend to be much pricier. So yes, I vote for the $1 noodles found at Dollar Tree.

As MissMermaid pointed out, driving the RV once a month is a good idea. When we are parked for an extended time, we sometimes just drive around the block. Besides keeping the engine happy with lubrication, etc, the tires like to be turned.

Dream Chasers said:
As MissMermaid pointed out, driving the RV once a month is a good idea. When we are parked for an extended time, we sometimes just drive around the block. Besides keeping the engine happy with lubrication, etc, the tires like to be turned.
If you drive the rig, give the engine time to fully warm up so it can evaporate any accumulated moisture, especially from the oil. Otherwise, you'll leave moisture where it isn't wanted and possibly start some internal corrosion.

Back
Top Bottom