Boarding up refrigerator vent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I actually think I'm just going to look around home depot (and my basement) and see what I can find. I thought there might be a simple solution that I hadn't thought of but now it all seems like overthinking. I think a lot of things would work for such a small hole. Might even look into some PVC trim board. Heck, with enough caulking an old piece of plywood with enough caulking and asphalt shingles may work! I'm not snarky enough to suggest duct tape, but thinking out of the box...

I would certainly want something that is at least somewhat heat resistant, as even with a double wall chimney thimble the outer wall can still get hot, not hot enough to start a fire, but plenty hot enough to melt plastic like material that it comes in contact with.  To me this means likely something made out of metal, and due to the potential for galvanic action with the rest of the roof, I would strongly lean towards something made from Aluminum.

I would go to a local sheet metal shop or HVAC shop and see if they could fabricate one to your specs and also add the hole for the vent pipe, they also might be a good source for the aluminum.

Sweetfarm said:
I will say that the pipe intentionally run backwards and  it does have creosote issues which I plan to keep up on.  Rest assured I have taken all precautions and have done my research.

I want to wish you and your guests who will be sleeping their all the best. You may need it.

Seriously?!!!!!
You don?t know me, the stove, or what my installation process is going to be, nor did I come here to get advice regarding that. I came here to get recommendations on roofing materials. Not to have my intelligence questioned or to be insulted. And I refuse to defend or explain my process just because you assume that I am incompetent.

And thank you to the posters who suggested aluminum sheet. That is what I will be using and makes the most sense. Thanks again everyone.

Sweetfarm, it is exactly because people don't know you that they likely feel they need to warn you of potential pitfalls in your plans.  As even well thought out plans can have major safety issues when seen by a different set of eyes, no one here is trying to offend you, they are just concerned for your welfare.

Sweetfarm said:
Seriously?!!!!!
You don?t know me, the stove, or what my installation process is going to be, nor did I come here to get advice regarding that. I came here to get recommendations on roofing materials. Not to have my intelligence questioned or to be insulted. And I refuse to defend or explain my process just because you assume that I am incompetent. 

I wasn't questioning intelligence or meant to insult you. If you read my first sentence I said for anyone installing a wood stove. It wasn't meant for you specifically. I merely was pointing out that the  install in the video was totally wrong and I was trying to help out anyone who was installing a stove pipe. If you want to put your guests lives in jeapardy, that's your business. I was trying to help others  so they don't make a mistake on installation. I've seen people die because of poor installation. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=proper+way+to+install+wood+stove+pipe&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj315Pm-M7eAhXSrFMKHf5gAa8QsAR6BAgEEAE&biw=1093&bih=501#imgrc=QCfvLdPMM0FOhM:

I understand that, but I was also desperately trying to stay on topic. If I had an extra hour to type out exactly my plan maybe I would, but that would open up yet another can of worms. Maybe just assume that I know a little more about the stove that I?ve been looking into for the past six weeks then you who have probably never seen one. Nothing in my initial post or in my replies was cause for alarm so, yes, wishing me ?good luck? and insinuating that I was going to die in my sleep is a bit insulting.

You can buy small pieces of aluminum (or steel) sheet at Home Depot, Lowe, Menards, and many hardware stores. You can also buy from metals retailers via Ebay - many offer pre-cut sheets of various sizes or will even cut to order.    I've bought several small pieces that way and it's very convenient - I measure and they cut and deliver to my door.

Thanks Gary. I?ve been looking into that. This looks just about right.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-6-in-x-2-ft-Aluminum-Sheet-Metal/3050449

Another potential source for a small sheet of Aluminum is any trophy shop, in my experience they typically buy blanks that measure about 18x24 inches in a variety of color of finishes, then cut to size when making plaques, etc.  Again raw material cost tends to be low, and they have the equipment to easily cut down to size if you need a specific size.

Thanks Isaac. I?m going to take a trip to Lowe?s today and if what they have doesn?t seem sturdy enough I will look into that!

23 gauge is awful thin, especially if you want to mount some sort of pipe support bracket to it.  I would want at least 16 gauge (about 1/16th inch).
This gauge table may help:https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/206

I?ll check out what gauges they have in stock when I get there. Worst case scenario I could always double up.

The hole is only 5 inches wide and the mounting plate is larger than that so most of it will be screwed directly into the roof as well.

Don't you love it when you ask a question and you get replies like "why do you want to do that", or "show us a picture"  !!!!

Jack L

A nice piece of sheet aluminum (available at any big box home store) will fill in the hole in the roof. As noted above you can seal it to the existing roof with any number of products. That's the easy part.
But.....you will still need to flash the chimney pipe, add a storm collar if you want to get fancy, and add some sort of terminator.

If those pieces didn't come with the stove, see if they are available from the manufacturer. Most of the ready-made stuff you will find is designed for a sloped roof on a house....so that is a problem too.

Thanks for the advice! No need for any of the above. The roof cap comed with a rubberized gasket etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom