When will there be an electric RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Please don't take my earlier post as being negative, I'd like to see EV's be a lot more prevalent also. I'd just like to see true answers to to my total overall emissions questions and what will be done to the grid to support the EV's. The naysayers say it's more emissions and EV backers say it's less. The naysayers say the current grid can't support it, and the EV backers say the grid is fine. I want to see proof either way. Nobody here can truthfully answer that, and the truth can't be found on the internet.

I don?t know anything about the grid or how EV?s work or about how difficult it will be to charge these vehicles. All I can do is look at history. The first powered flight was in 1903. We went to the moon in 1969. How many folks around in 1903 really imagined we would put a man on the moon a mere 66 years later? The first gasoline powered combustion engine used to power a vehicle was in 1870. Just 149 years later there are more than one billion gas powered vehicles on the roads worldwide. My grandmother was born in the 1890?s, just 20 years after the first gas powered engine was used to propel a vehicle. We?ve come a long way in a very short time. We have the technology. EV?s are the future. Either embrace it or be left behind. Fossil fuels are on the way out. I would love to see everything powered by fossil fuels eliminated before I?m gone.

Oldgator73 said:
I don?t know anything about the grid or how EV?s work or about how difficult it will be to charge these vehicles. All I can do is look at history. The first powered flight was in 1903.

Look up the history of electric cars, they have been around since the late 1800's and there were experimental units even earlier.  Advancements in batteries and controls are improving, but there are improvements in other types of vehicles as well.

lynnmor said:
Look up the history of electric cars, they have been around since the late 1800's and there were experimental units even earlier.  Advancements in batteries and controls are improving, but there are improvements in other types of vehicles as well.

There was no environmental incentive to continue with electric vehicles. The main reason folks were attracted to EV?s in the early years of the automobile is the ICE vehicles starting procedure was a pita. Once the electric starter was invented folks gravitated to ICE vehicles. The thought was fossil fuels would be around forever and pollution was not a concern. Now that fossil fuels are running low and pollution is a worldwide concern we need to put more effort behind EV?s.

lynnmor said:
Yep. And there could even be a lot more room for improvements with ICE. And that is because the efficiently is so low as it is. When  we get too close to 100% efficient with anything, there is a lot less room left for improvements.

IOW, since EVs are much more efficient than ICE vehicles, that means there is more room for improvements with ICE.

-Don- in cold  Cold Springs Valley, NV

DonTom said:
Biased? And the stuff you read from the oils companies isn't? Oil companies have been spreading their nonsense for quite a while now.
The real problem is that some people believe it. A lie told often enough becomes the truth to many.

Big oil money has been trying to kill EVs for a while.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
and most every plastic thing you like comes from oil, pretty important resource wouldn't you say?

Oldgator73 said:
There was no environmental incentive to continue with electric vehicles. The main reason folks were attracted to EV?s in the early years of the automobile is the ICE vehicles starting procedure was a pita. Once the electric starter was invented folks gravitated to ICE vehicles. The thought was fossil fuels would be around forever and pollution was not a concern. Now that fossil fuels are running low and pollution is a worldwide concern we need to put more effort behind EV?s.
we are not running low on fossil fuels, we have more on hand that ever before and, with ICE being much more efficient there's even less worry. The big ticket item should be hydrogen engines. People, this is all Green jargon.   

Deano2002 said:
and most every plastic thing you like comes from oil, pretty important resource wouldn't you say?

Plastic is no friend of our environment. Sure, we have become somewhat dependent on plastic but I would posit we could could certainly do without it.

Oldgator73 said:
EV?s are here and here to stay. The technology improves on a daily basis. We hear the same tired arguments against EV?s that we hear when any new technology is introduced. Back when the ICE was introduced everybody said it would never replace the horse and buggy. Look where we are today. Gas stations on every corner. I?m 68 and would love to see EV?s develop much faster in the short amount of time I have left. For all you naysayers here, don?t worry about it. Keep your heads in the sand. Technology will pass you up.
Being force to purchasing something you might not be able to afford isn't having you head in the sand. If the green people have their way that is what will happen. Many truckers are out of jobs in California because of these unreasonable theories

DonTom said:
I don't know about the hype. I just know that I am hooked on EVs--I own three  and will never buy a gas  vehicle again. Besides, see here.

When you have an ERV with several hundred KWHs of battery available, you could probably  run your A/C for weeks with no need for a generator at all.

And what marketing? Tesla cannot keep up with their orders and they do no advertising anywhere, AFAIK.
-Don-  Auburn, CA
Marketing? Green people are the marketing for any other vehicle than ICE, how long can you run your a/c in your EV's before needing a recharging? They be your fancy but ,not for everyone

kdbgoat said:
I don't own an EV, but our daily driver is a hybrid. I, like others, realize that electric vehicles themselves are low emissions, but electric has to be generated to charge them. That process isn't necessarily low emission. And the 20th century grid we're running off of is terribly overtaxed as it is. There's over 270 million registered cars in the USA, and our current power system couldn't possibly support charging 25% of them even if the necessary charging stations we're installed. And as stated before, the emissions from the power plants negate any vehicle emissions savings. And yes, those plants pollute a lot. Back about 20 years or so ago when the grid dropped out for 8 hours or so nation wide, there were studies done on the air quality at the time. The difference was amazing. Air traffic also had a big effect. I'm not saying EV's shouldn't be expanded, but the whole system has to go through a metamorphosis to see any real change.
And we could volunteer another 20% tax being taken out of our earnings to pay for the new "green deal"which will include all electric soon, oh I forgot, its 52% of our checks they need to get that deal started. I pity my grandchildren

DonTom said:
Sure, it would take a lot of solar for 100,000 watt SuperChargers!

But there are several level two chargers (240 VAC) that are 100% solar and batteries. One is the free charger at Boreal Ski Resort at Donner Summit.

Another is from a buddy of mine who lives out in the desert by Pyramid Lake, NV. He put together quite a system, now over 20KW and it is always growing as he has 40 acres where he can add his solar. I sometimes ride my Reno e-bike out there and charge from his 240 VAC. Several miles down an unpaved road. The range of my Zero 6.5  DS (6.5 KWH, dual sport) is quite limited compared to the E-bike I keep here in Auburn. But with his charger, I can go for a nice ride around Pyramid Lake which I could never do from my home in Reno if it wasn't for his set-up in the middle of the desert out there.

-Don-  Auburn, CA
so now our earth will be covered with solar panels like all the wind turbines which are absolutely worthless?

Deano2002 said:
Being force to purchasing something you might not be able to afford isn't having you head in the sand. If the green people have their way that is what will happen. Many truckers are out of jobs in California because of these unreasonable theories
Not the guy driving this truck.

No doubt EV's will be a lot cheaper than ICE vehicles after they become very common. No tranny, no alternator, no clutch, no  oil, no  gasoline, no air, oil and fuel filters. Not even an ignition key  lock. For now, the only item that keeps the cost up are the very expensive batteries.

Besides that, there are many cheap EVs already (compare to many new 2019 ICE vehicles):

• 2019 Kia Soul EV - $33,950
  • 2019 Chevrolet Bolt - $36,620
  • 2019 Hyundai Kona EV - $37,000

-Don-  Reno, NV

Deano2002 said:
so now our earth will be covered with solar panels
I hope so, as that sounds a lot better than breathing all the pollutants.
Deano2002 said:
like all the wind turbines which are absolutely worthless?
If they are now  really worthless, just  make them priceless. They can be improved.

-Don-  Reno, NV

Deano2002 said:

Nobody is forcing anybody to buy anything. When new technology is introduced and accepted the old technology is slowly edged out. In 1998 I purchased a brand new Dodge truck to pull our brand new 5th wheel. Total price for both was less than $50k. Now the tow truck would cost $70k-$80k. Who would a thought we would be paying those kind of prices to RV.

Deano2002 said:
so now our earth will be covered with solar panels like all the wind turbines which are absolutely worthless?

Our earth is covered more and more with concrete and asphalt. Are you complaining about that? We have to have alternative energy producers if we are going to survive. Using what is readily available to us; wind, sun, water is a smart thing to do.

Re-charging technology has a long way to go before I can see a complete "replace" of IC vehicles with EVs. Especially with E RVs.
The will need to have chargeable batteries in the recharge station, that can absorb energy from Solar panels all day, and the do a rapid charge when a vehicle is plugged in. The station can be a combination Solar and Grid connection, perhaps.
The E RV would need a dual battery set-up, of some kind.
Batteries for transport, and Batteries for House use.

You would need to be able to connect to a Charging station or plug into a normal Grid connection, I think.
It is relatively simple for the roadie who uses parks, but Boondocking can offer a whole different set of challenges.

When they have developed a E RV that can run 400 miles, and recharge in a couple of hours, and run another 400, and camp at the beach or out in the woods for a few days without needing a charge, and still make a run to a charging station, I will there with my checkbook.

Larry N. said:
For RVs used in colder months, a way of heating the rig for extended periods is needed, too (boondocking anyone?).

We?ve done a bit of boondocking (3+weeks at a time), with temps at or below zero F .....so far, we?ve ?not? been able to find a ?Current bush? capable of supporting our electrical requirements!    ;)

I believe I read about an already in production EVRV.. I think it's a Mitsubtisi but.. Please do not quote me on that.. It had some "issues" by my standard.. Range.  Cargo Carrying capacity, towing capacity. As I recall all were limited.

DonTom said:
Not the guy driving this truck.

No doubt EV's will be a lot cheaper than ICE vehicles after they become very common. No tranny, no alternator, no clutch, no  oil, no  gasoline, no air, oil and fuel filters. Not even an ignition key  lock. For now, the only item that keeps the cost up are the very expensive batteries.

Besides that, there are many cheap EVs already (compare to many new 2019 ICE vehicles):

• 2019 Kia Soul EV - $33,950
  • 2019 Chevrolet Bolt - $36,620
  • 2019 Hyundai Kona EV - $37,000

-Don-  Reno, NV
Those are very expensive for that size of car, not cheap at all considering a Chevy Malibu loaded will cost you about 25K and is a nice riding comfortable car and can get in the 30' mpg, not a gas guzzler, and there are many more in that category. . The EV are Not economical, they are green, that's all. Combustion engines are not going away anytime soon, money makes the world go round and you aren't going to stop that for electric cars.

Back
Top Bottom