Understanding Ice Maker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thelazyl

I am a new RV owner.  I read the owner's manual for my fridge and can't answer some questions.  The manual assumes I know where the input water lines are located.  I've looked high and low and can't find them.  Do I need to take out the fridge?

I am preparing for winter.  I found a few youtubes on doing something with a solenoid (?).  When I looked at my model I noticed that control arm was down - meaning ice should have been coming out.  Does that mean there is no water in the line?  If there is water in the line, I need help with the drain procedure.  The manual covers this topic but there are no pictures.  I looked at the unit and can't find a way to remove the plastic cover.

I'd appreciate any help on understand how my fridge might be plumbed, and also how to drain the lines for winter.

I can provide additional info as needed.

I have a 2003 Fleetwood Bounder Diesel (37U)

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Ice Maker.jpg
    Ice Maker.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 13
The water line for the ice maker is likely on the back of the fridge (make and model please?), and possibly could be accessed from the access port on the exterior wall behind the fridge. It's hard to be sure, but I suspect that the plastic cover is that big square thing on the left side of your picture -- the ice dumping mechanism is likely under that. It may have a screw or two, or it might just snap off, depending on the design.

Thank you.  I will get the make and model number for you. I just realized there is a removable panel on the wall outside of the RV.  I know it's for the refer because I can hear the propane burn. For some reason I didn't think to look there - there is a lot to learn.  Thanks again.

The icemaker supply line and solenoid valve will be located behind the fridge and accessible via the outer door. Maybe not easily, but there.  You can disconnect the line at the valve to drain it. Also make sure to drain the valve itself - water trapped in the valve will freeze and damage the valve. Norcold gives instructions on that - not sure about Dometics.
http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/icemaker.pdf

Fleetwood coaches usually often have an ice maker line shut-off valve at the source end as well.  Often the icemaker water feed comes off the kitchen sink cold water line, so you may find a shut-off hidden somewhere under the kitchen sink.

The water supply line for mine connects to the water line under my kitchen sink. 

There is a shutoff right there under the sink and we shut off the water to our ice maker when we bought it due to the fact it dumped a load of ice during the night and scared my wife half to death.

Note that on many ice maker water supply lines, if there is a drinking water filter under the sink counter, the water for the ice maker is fed from that filter output. There may, or may not, be a valve located there that feeds the input to the filter itself to allow you to change out the filter or its element without having to shut water off outside. One indicator of the filter being present may be a separate drinking water output on the deck of the counter.

My trailer has a large "whole house" filter and is difficult to miss when looking under there and it has a valve on the filter input side. Not all RV manufacturers use a large filter like that, some are the simple "in line" filters and some may use none at all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheriRv
Back
Top Bottom