DISH Tailgater Package

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thelazyl

Hello, does anyone have the DISH Tailgater package?  If so are you pleased?  Easy to setup?

I have a 37' Class A with 2 TVs and live/travel on the West Coast.  I only want to use the larger TV up front.  Our RV has a manual Winegard crank-up satellite on the roof.  I do not yet have a receiver.  I am currently a DISH customer.  The DISH package is $398 and the per-month is $7.

My plan is to purchase the DISH Tailgater package with an auto-find dish and a Wally receiver.  I don't plan on installing the auto-find dish on the RV roof until I've had it for a year and am happy with it.

The reviews I have read are positive.  I'd appreciate your input on this.

You might want to reconsider the roof mount. The first thing you will do is park in tree's and won't get a signal, the 50 foot coax will enable you to move the antenna to a location for a signal. I have used up to 150 foot of coax (RG6) to find a clearing for a signal. Ive had ours for three years and it is handy to correct this problem.>>>Dan

We have the Tailgater and enjoy it.  You do have to have a clear view of the Southwest sky.

We got the Playmaker and a Wally receiver. The Wally was defective so we returned it and got a 211K dish receiver off Ebay. It has worked flawlessly even down to Okeechobee, Fl. The directions said it didn't work strongly on the eastern arc, but ours does.

I had a  Tailgater and a 211K receiver and had no problems with the equipment or the reception.  Do not tie it down to your roof.  The 50 ft cable gives you a lot of flexibility on placement so you get good reception.  But I did sell the whole rig when I had major problems with Dish (for house service) so now I just use OTA or cable.

Bill

The Winegard Pathway X2 is a better choice than the Tailgater. The X2 can access both the eastern and western arc Dish satellite sets, and also has a larger reflector than the Tailgater for less rain fade.

I have that package and put it on the roof.  There is a roof mount that allows you to remove it easily. If you end up under trees, disconnect coax, pop the latch and set it anywhere.  Yes, it would mean a trip to the roof, but I have actually had to put on the roof before I had the mount to put on roof.  It is very light and easy to move. 

The mount has been about $85 at CW on sale.  I have had a roof mount for 10years and only a few nights I couldn't get signal, meantime, moving it around, security of it, making sure it doesn't fall over etc.  Sure, bloated cautions but so are the you will be under a tree.

NY_Dutch said:
The Winegard Pathway X2 is a better choice than the Tailgater. The X2 can access both the eastern and western arc Dish satellite sets, and also has a larger reflector than the Tailgater for less rain fade.

X2

I also have a roof mount Winegard that came with the coach and chose not to try to use it since it must be set manually. That means every time you want to change channels and the next channel is on a different satellite, you have to find it manually again. I bought a Pathway X2 and a 211 receiver and while I had Dish service at the house, took advantage of the $7 per month charge to turn on the 211. Now that I have DirecTV, I go with the cheapest monthly package when I know I'm going to be in mountains and won't have cell or wifi service. Otherwise, I can mirror my DirecTV from my phone app to my Apple TV and watch it on the big screen. And since I have AT&T, and AT&T now owns DirecTV, I can stream all the shows I want and not be charged cell data.

But the Dish still comes in handy for times like in the Grand Tetons or the Canadian Rockies. And since it is portable, it is much easier to set up when under trees or anything else that might block the signal your roof mount needs to receive.

Back
Top Bottom