Origin of the 12V power to the awning control box?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill and Debbie

WeatherPro Electric awning. NO 12v power coming to the control box. Hence, it don't work. There is a feature that will automatically retract the awning once engine is started. Also, I presume the reverse happens to prevent accidental extension going down the road.

I just had the motor replaced and worked well for several days, so I don't thing there is a connection. Sure hope someone can tell me where the 12V power is coming from. Oh, and all fuses tested ok. And all other 12V functions work. Have tried to reset by starting the engine and turning off ignition as well as cust the house batteries for 10 minutes and turning back on. Nada!

Again, this is no 12V coming in, not going out to motor or wall switch. Pretty stumped on this...help appreciated.

Only somebody with the same coach could answer that question, and CT Coachworks not a common brand/model.  RV makers are endlessly creative when it comes to wiring (and plumbing too), so most anything is possible.  I'm afraid you are just going to have to start back-tracking. 

There are circuit tracker gadgets available that may help - try Home Depot, Lowes, or Amazon or Ebay.  Another technique is a simple ohmmeter (VOM) and a length of wire sufficient to reach from the awning switch location to your fuse panel(s) so you can do a continuity check. If you identify the circuit power source and it is live, you still have to track the wire path in-between and that can be challenging in any RV or bus.

Thanks Gary. We checked as many of the 12v fuses we could find for continuity and they all checked good. I can call CT Coachworks in Riverside CA and see if I can get some assistance. No longer making motorhomes but doing custom tour buses. The positive and negative 12v wire is coming through the bulkhead to the control box but from where I haven't been able to find. Its got to do something with auto retract upon startup if awning has been deployed and forgotten.

Pretty sure the power goes to the control box and from there to the wall switch near entry door. Even the remote doesn't work. 

Do all the other items that work off of 12 volt still work in the coach??

I agree with back-tracking the wires being the 1st option, but if it were me, and I ran in to an endless bundle of wires running through walls and cabinets, I wouldn't hesitate to just tap into another (adequate) 12 volt source and run some new wires. As long as the 12 volt source is in front of the control box, it will work fine.

Kev

Just wanted to post an update on the loss of 12V power to the Dometic control box. Found a 3rd fuse box (under the "hood") and low and behold there was a 15A fuse labeled "front heated seats" which we don't have. Same red wire going to the control box. Fuse was blown. Replaced and all is good.

Suspect that retracting the awning in a still breeze may have stressed the new awning motor and blew the fuse. At least I know of the additional 12V fuse box.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom