Finding the water filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thelazyl

I have a basic question.  We have a 2003 Fleetwood Bounder 37U Diesel.

The owner's manual speaks of a water filter.  I cannot yet find it - I am sure I am overlooking something simple.  Can someone please send tips on where I can look?  FYI the water tank is located in the middle of the chassis.  I can see it from the starboard side outside doors. 

I attached the only information available to me in the owner's manual.  No pictures. 

Attachments

• 2018-11-13 10_33_25-2003_BOUNDER_DIESEL.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.jpg
    2018-11-13 10_33_25-2003_BOUNDER_DIESEL.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 16
I'm not familiar with that specific rig, but generally a whole house filter will be in the water bay. It's often in a housing that looks like this, though mine have all been white. The filter wrench is the black thing at the base of the filter housing.

Larry N. said:
I'm not familiar with that specific rig, but generally a whole house filter will be in the water bay. It's often in a housing that looks like this, though mine have all been white. The filter wrench is the black thing at the base of the filter housing.
They are not looking for a whole house filter, they are looking for the filter referenced in the owners manual. To find that filter turn on the water pump by opening up a faucet and letting it run. Then go find the pump. The filter will be attached directly to the pump.

You are probably expecting too much to recognize it.  The pump "filter" mentioned there is just a screen (strainer) in a small plastic surround and is attached directly to the pump inlet. If there is one at all.  It is designed to keep particulates out of the pump and if there was much sand in the water supply, the strainer gets clogged and water flow decreases.  If you have an actual filter for water taste & purity, it would be much larger and placed inline with the pump outlet (and also with the city supply line).  Bounders didn't come with them, but some owners add them while others may have used one on the city water hose.

This video shows the strainer on the pump and other RV pump maintenance steps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGW1EfHg_Co

OP could be referring to a single fixture filter. My 2007 Bounder has one under the kitchen sink. When I bought the rig 4 years ago, it had never been hooked up.

malexander said:
OP could be referring to a single fixture filter. My 2007 Bounder has one under the kitchen sink. When I bought the rig 4 years ago, it had never been hooked up.
If your read her first post she is asking about a water filter that is referenced in the owner's manual.

My bounder is newer but maybe there’s some similarities.  My filter looks exactly, well, almost exactly like that except it’s beige. 

My filter is behind the connection panel in the wet bay.  You have to look up from a low vantage point to see the bottom 2 inches of the beige filter.

Don’t try to remove it if you don’t have the right tool.  Like this one : https://www.amazon.com/Culligan-SW-2-4-Inch-Housing-Spanner/dp/B001BJA04U/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1542159231&sr=8-7&keywords=water+filter+wrench+for+whole+house+filter

THAT filter is a SMALL filter probably mounted directly on the pump inlet.  You should be able to pull the filter without pulling the pump.  Go to RVUpgrades and search "pump filter " to see what they look like.  There are several styles.

When searching, use the words screen or strainer in place of filter, that more accurately describes the part.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom