electric water heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lee Ann

I have a 2005 cavalier fema trailer that I've been working on. My hot water heater has been modified by the last owner. I have to plug it into a 110 outlet and flip a switch that was added. FEMA trailers have no holding tanks so I need to disconnect water hose for freeze tonight and wanted to drain water heater. Should my drain plug to the heater have two red wires going into it?

I don't think it is necessary to drain a hot water tank for a one night freeze. Large bodies of water take a much longer time to freeze than the tiny amount in a hose or pipe.

Well, I really wanted to see how to drain it because I will be relocating it to our hunting camp where it will live forever. When we break camp it will definitely have to be drained in winter to prevent freezing.

Do you know which brand and model of water heater you have.    If the hunting camp will not have electricity you may want to replace the hot-rod style electric element with the original plug / anode rod (depending on if it is a Suburban or an Atwood water heater.  I am betting Suburban as they are cheaper.

If it is a Suburban 6 gallon water heater you will need one of these anode rods to prevent corrosion https://smile.amazon.com/Eleventree-Heaters-Magnesium-Suburban-length-2pack/dp/B07CHNPZ79/ these should be replaced as needed (they wear down) every 2-3 years

The two wires you speak of are attached to the element. It is fine to pull the element to drain it.....just be sure you unplug the power first.

It is an Atwood. Thanks malexander, I thought it might be element but I couldn't find any pictures of it online and since it was a FEMA I just wanted to make sure.

If it is an Atwood the original plug was plastic you can either get one or just use the electric element,  Atwoods don't need an Anode rod since they are made from Aluminum

see https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-11633-Water-Heater-Wrench/dp/B00BMRRZ94

It sounds like you have an Atwood propane fuelled water heater where the previous owner added and aftermarket electric conversion kit.      With the conversion kit the water heater can run on either propane or AC electric, though there are also water heaters that come from the factory with propane and electric elements, though I think all of those have a separate drain plug.  At least they do on Suburban brands water heaters.

knowing the brand and model of the water heater would help clear up confusion here.

On an atwood heater the element is in what I call the "Back" (inside the rv) but there is usually a drain plug on the outside (Nylon) lower left ... HOWEVER some folks (You said it had been modified) put in a HOTT_ROD.. this repalces the drain plug and usually has two BLACK wires going to it.

Water heater WILL NOT FREEZE if it is being held at 120 degrees by the heat source.

Thanks Isaac, that makes sense now. I didn't know they had after market conversion kits but I'm sure that is what they did because they also pulled the propane central heat out. They were staying in full time for about 6 months and were all electric. She didn't even have a battery for the lights and the converter was out so it has led strips of lights that plug into 110 outlet. I haven't hooked up a propane tank because the only cooking I will be doing in trailer is microwave.

Thanks John, This trailer will be without electricity and water when we are not at the camp and it does freeze in that area. Since it is in my driveway tonight I hooked the water hose back up and turned it on.  I rapped the water hose with pipe insulation so it wont freeze tonight. I don't have holding tanks.

IF they converted the water heater by using a "Hott Rod" the rubber cap the wires go into pulls off (Pull straight out) then you remove the element. and it drains.. Take the element out. then screw in a 1/2 inch plastic irrigation nipple (Cheapest piece of pipe made) and then open the TPR manually by lifting the lever to drain.

Back
Top Bottom