Removing my water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I was having a tough time with the idea of drinking out of my 30 plus year old water tank.

I decided to remove it and do a good job of cleaning it. ( surprisingly the inside already looked clean )

For the life of me I couldnt figure out how it could be removed, after about 45 minutes of shaking my head I decided to remove the stove and that took all of about 10 minutes. 4 screws and one gas line and tank was out.

Now I can run some bleach in it and know that I wont be drinking anything but fresh water.

https://postimg.cc/8sHx6nxK

https://postimg.cc/3df6L082

I hadnt noticed this hose https://postimg.cc/yWBwWzp3 until now and Im gonna assume its a vent hose since its at the top? Not sure where it was supposed to go?

I went to camper world where I wasnt given the time of day ( Im assuming cause I wasnt a big ticket cust ) and I found this https://postimg.cc/TyMtSrZ5 and Im wondering if you guys recommend it to keep my tank clean going forward so I dont have to remove again?

All you need to do to keep the system fresh is to change out the water (assuming you're not using it) every couple months and sanitize with a bleach mixture (including hot water tank) every 12 months

Back2PA said:
All you need to do to keep the system fresh is to change out the water (assuming you're not using it) every couple months and sanitize with a bleach mixture (including hot water tank) every 12 months
The camper wont be parked anywhere near a fresh water hook up so sanatizing it with bleach every few isnt any option, also I have a stainless steel hot water tank and so Ive read that there is no need to include that if I were to bleach the system.

Thanks though

How do you plan to fill it?  Portable drinking water container  and make shift outdoor shower might be your easy way

That disgusting hose is a vent.  If you were able to properly sanitize the system you should run the bleach water till it spills out the vent to kill off the growth in it.  I had a Sunline with that type of hose and the real fix is to replace it regularly.  If folks could only see the inside of vent hoses they wouldn't drink the water.

You do not need to remove the tank to sanitize it. Bleach water will do the trick. You drain the water from the bottom. The hose is a vent/overflow tube. Put it down thru the floor. When you fill with water it runs out the hose and you know you are full. Just bring enough water to the trailer to sanitize and fill. Much better then removing the tank I would think. Don't bother trying to clean the hose. Replace it.

SpencerPJ said:
How do you plan to fill it?  Portable drinking water container  and make shift outdoor shower might be your easy way

I plan to go out to the camper every weekend and so Ill bring a 5 gallon bucket of water with me every time I go.

I dont use much water and Im sure it wont be a big deal to keep it topped of once its full

Not sure what you mean by outdoor shower? I plan to live large and use the shower thats in the camper.

Im 5'11 ish ( depending how far out of whack my back is that day ) 6 ft 225-245 pounds so it ought to be interesting but it will be better than what I have been doing up until this time for sure

cavie said:
You do not need to remove the tank to sanitize it. Bleach water will do the trick. You drain the water from the bottom. The hose is a vent/overflow tube. Put it down thru the floor. When you fill with water it runs out the hose and you know you are full. Just bring enough water to the trailer to sanitize and fill. Much better then removing the tank I would think. Don't bother trying to clean the hose. Replace it.
Its terrible how cheaply built this camper is, anyway the drain valve and the outlet valves had issues that needed addressing and so I figured just this once it would be easier to remove it and get a few things done at once.

Its going back in today

1930 said:
I plan to go out to the camper every weekend and so Ill bring a 5 gallon bucket of water with me every time I go.

I dont use much water and Im sure it wont be a big deal to keep it topped of once its full

Not sure what you mean by outdoor shower? I plan to live large and use the shower thats in the camper.

Im 5'11 ish ( depending how far out of whack my back is that day ) 6 ft 225-245 pounds so it ought to be interesting but it will be better than what I have been doing up until this time for sure

I'm a bit taller than you, and to only use 5 gal to shower, props  :)). 

This is the outdoor shower I was thinking of https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Removable-Switchable-Traveling-Cleaning/dp/B071CDCK8B?ref_=Oct_MGiftedC_3401561_5&pf_rd_r=P8NG5APTS0FBEK0GDKY5&pf_rd_p=2902fad9-09e5-511e-a8fe-adb34fe3c5ec&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=3401561&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I will agree that my wife is the water hog, but it will take 1/2 gal just to get the water lines delivering warm water.  You might need a tad more than 5 gal, but you're thinking  :))

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom