Black tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

No idea so Id better ask

I go to the bathroom and have a bowel movement or to take a leak, is there gonna be water in the bowl like a normal toilet?

Lets say I do my business and flush, it goes down into tank, what stops the stink from coming up still into the cabin?

The tank seems pretty level under there, seems like Im gonna have a pile of crap pretty quickly?

How do I get that crap out of the tank, Im watching u-tube videos but I dont get how it is supposed to just flow out cause I pull the handle?

Is there 30 year old crap in there now maybe?

Should I clean them whilst I have a hose that can supply endless water and if so how?

Thanks

1930 said:
No idea so Id better ask

I go to the bathroom and have a bowel movement or to take a leak, is there gonna be water in the bowl like a normal toilet?
No, you do need water in the holding tank.

Lets say I do my business and flush, it goes down into tank, what stops the stink from coming up still into the cabin?
There is a valve in the bottom of the bowl that keeps the stink contained in the holding tank.

The tank seems pretty level under there, seems like I'm gonna have a pile of crap pretty quickly?
After you dump the tank and empty it you add a few gallons of plain water to keep the crap from building up. If you are parked in a site and have the holding tank hooked up to a sewer it is important to keep the black valve closed until it is at least 3/4 before dumping.

How do I get that crap out of the tank, I'm watching u-tube videos but I don't get how it is supposed to just flow out cause I pull the handle?
It is called gravity.

Is there 30 year old crap in there now maybe?
That is possible if the previous owner parked it with the valve open. That is called a poop pyramid. If you have one now you will know, it will stink to high heaven.

Should I clean them whilst I have a hose that can supply endless water and if so how?

Thanks
While you are in the dump station you can run a lot of plain water into the tank to flush it out.

How do I know when its 3/4, I dont think my camper has a poop meter like I see some of them on the tube

On the first question at the top so are you saying the bowl is gonna not have any water when i take a crap and the crap is gonna stick to the inside of the toilet? I understand when I flush that most will go down the shute but Im forseeing alot of skid marks if there is no water in the toilet bowl for the crap to drop into?

Where am I confused?

1930 said:
How do I know when its 3/4, I dont think my camper has a poop meter like I see some of them on the tube

On the first question at the top so are you saying the bowl is gonna not have any water when i take a crap and the crap is gonna stick to the inside of the toilet? I understand when I flush that most will go down the shute but Im forseeing alot of skid marks if there is no water in the toilet bowl for the crap to drop into?

Where am I confused?

Before you sit down, fill the bowl about half way and use that water to flush. Don't be afraid to use plenty of water.
My wife and I go 1 week before I have to dump our 48 gallon tank. Our gages don't work so that's what I use as a gage.

Rene T said:
Before you sit down, fill the bowl about half way and use that water to flush. Don't be afraid to use plenty of water.
My wife and I go 1 week before I have to dump our 48 gallon tank. Our gages don't work so that's what I use as a gage.
Im gonna have to look in my owners book and see how big my tanks are. I dont plan to use them but its nice to know I could if/when I had too.

There should always be SOME water in the toilet bowl.  It not only aids the flushing but it keeps the seal wet which is one thing that helps prevent odors coming up from the tank when the toilet is not being flushed.  If the seal dries out water in the bowl leaks down into the tank and leaves the bowl dry which results in a dry seal.  Some toilets have circuit boards and you can set a switch to have less water, more water, and maximum water.  Less water is for when you're traveling so water doesn't slosh out of the bowl and maximum is for when you're parked for a while and want more water in the bowl.  None of it is rocket science and much of it is common sense.  What you want to avoid is not having enough water in either the bowl or the tank because that's when you start to form the infamous poop pyramid that causes odors.

ArdraF

DearMissMermaid said:
Toilet brush will remove skid marks.  :eek:

Only one problem my wife won't be there every weekend with me ?

My take, if you don't plan to move the trailer, you will not want to deal with the crap in the tank.  Get a porta John, and take or dispose of your business as suitable.  Your Gray tanks are just soapy water, deal with that as appropriate.

SpencerPJ said:
My take, if you don't plan to move the trailer, you will not want to deal with the crap in the tank.  Get a porta John, and take or dispose of your business as suitable.  Your Gray tanks are just soapy water, deal with that as appropriate.

I agree, I just like to know/understand my options

Just for the heck of it and off the cuff I raised the lid of the toilet today for the first time.

No water in the bowl and have never had even the slightest whif of bad odor.

I slid the deal at the back of the toilet to the side and got my flashlight, sure enough there is water down there, Not sure what to make of it cause its brown, and yes I mean brown brown.

I stuck a stick down there to see how deep and it maybe 3 inches, I smelled the stick and no odor whatsoever.

Is there any chance that what down there is anything but 20 year old crap?

Maybe a water conditioner of some sort?

Ill assume you guys would suggest dumping it and maybe running my garden hose down the toilet to flush things out?

Depending on your rig, you may have a black tank flush that you can just hook the hose to. Dump the tank, run the flush for a bit close the tank and let it fill up once, then dump again while using the flush. Flush till you get clear water coming out. Close the valve and let it run a bit to add a couple gallons of water to the tank to aid in breakdown of any solids

cadee2c said:
Depending on your rig, you may have a black tank flush that you can just hook the hose to. Dump the tank, run the flush for a bit close the tank and let it fill up once, then dump again while using the flush. Flush till you get clear water coming out. Close the valve and let it run a bit to add a couple gallons of water to the tank to aid in breakdown of any solids
I found some things under one of the seats, I think they have something to do with the crapper, at this point they will have to wait cause time is limited. Im just gonna dump it, thanks

After I get home from camping, and even before I leave, I dump several 5-gallon pails of water down my toilet with the drain valve open.  The large volume of water typically moves things around and out.

I also have a tank flusher in my black tank, but the 5-gallon pail gets out a lot more.

1930 said:
Im gonna have to look in my owners book and see how big my tanks are. I dont plan to use them but its nice to know I could if/when I had too.

You MUST use your black tank! Fill it and dump it fill it and dump it. If you don't the water will run out and leave the solids behind. you will create a POOPILE. You don't want that.

ALWAYS fill the bowl at least 1/2 full before taking a dump. You'll need it to take the paper down and will add need water in the tank.

Black and grey water tanks have sensors, but they are notoriously wrong.  However, I can tell how full my black tank is by the sound when I flush it.  When it is almost empty, the noise of the water hitting the stuff in the tank sounds hollow.  As it fills up, the sound changes, but you can still hear the sound of running water.  And when mine is almost full, it sort of "burps" which means I need to dump it.

And, last time I checked, the ability to use a toilet brush is NOT a sex-linked characteristic, so get out there and scrub!!

ArdraF said:
  Some toilets have circuit boards and you can set a switch to have less water, more water, and maximum water. 

ArdraF

Really, someone thought is was a good idea to add a circuit board to a commode? WiFi capable? Is there an app for that?

Never again stress over the thought as you are hiking down the trail: Gee, I wonder if I flushed it? The Premiere Privy App saves the day once again!

Our final sanctuary invaded by technology. The assimilation is complete.

Attachments

• 220px-Billy_Mays_Portrait_Cropped.jpg
    220px-Billy_Mays_Portrait_Cropped.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back